terrors in the dark

mentions of abuse, language, suicide, and etc.

They both walk out and meet back with the nurse who was waiting outside for them. Holding Taylor's hand, and tears streaming down her face, Autumn walks in, laying down on the small bed. After wearing some purple gown over her clothes, Autumn was ready to go into the MRI. As the nurse went behind the small compartment separated from the rest of the room with glass, the bed started moving in. Autumn started moving, trying to get out.

"I'm right here, baby, please don't move, you'll hurt yourself. I'm right here," Taylor said, trying to calm the girl.

"Please keep talking," Autumn pleads as she is completely pulled in.

"Of course," Taylor said.

True to her word, Taylor didn't stop saying encouraging things to Autumn, hoping the girl could hear her. After about thirty minutes, she could hear soft snores, and the girl fell asleep. Taylor sent a text to her family, keeping them updated of everything the police told them about her mother's death and the scan she was going through. She excluded what Autumn said about her dad because she knew it was too private to share. After an hour of waiting, Autumn woke up and started to panic.

"Taylor! Taylor! Don't go!" Autumn screamed out.

"Autumn, I'm right here, I'm right here, baby, you're almost done," Taylor called out.

Before Autumn could spiral even more, the bed moved out of the MRI and Autumn ran off the bed into Taylor's arms. They both looked at the nurse who had a sad smile on her face, Autumn and Taylor could tell she had bad news.

"Follow me," she said.

After she had led them both into a hospital room, the nurse went out, telling them that she'll be back soon. After twenty minutes, the woman walked in with a computer and there was a man with her.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Grey," he introduces.

The nurse leaves and the doctor opens up the computer and turns it towards both girls. They both look at the x-ray results in confusion.

"There are a couple problems like the bruises and the malnourishment, but the biggest one is this," he pointed to a sharp foreign object, "there are three pieces of glass inside the girl's body. Two are huge and one is small, one of the big ones and the small ones are at the surface and one is really deep inside and close to her heart. One of her veins is going to rupture if we don't get it out within two days. This was caused because the glass pieces went unnoticed and weren't taken care of immediately."

Autumn started to cry even more while Taylor's face turned pale, she knew the girl was hurt, but glass deep inside her body, she never imagined it as that much.

"Being the only adult with Autumn right now, the decision is up to you, take your time but please do hurry, the sooner the better. I'll be back in a couple hours around dinner time. Ms. Swift, you can have a hospital meal or get something else but Autumn, you can't eat. There will be a packet injected into your body which will be your dinner because we can't take any risks," he advised before leaving.

Taylor was going to talk to her, but the girl was asleep on the bed provided in the room. Taylor called her mom, explaining everything the doctor had told her.

"Mom I'm scared, I don't know what to do right now. All I know is that the surgery is going to happen, I want her to be okay,"

"Honey, hang on, me, dad, Austin, Tree, and Travis are coming, hang on, baby," Andrea said to her daughter.

"Travis?" she asks.

"He came over to see you and now he's really worried about the both of you and we're picking up food for you two,"

"Not for Autumn, remember,"

"Right, we'll be there soon, just hang on," Andrea said.

After about an hour, Autumn woke up and sat up, resting her head on the headboard.

"We're not going through with the surgery, right?" Autumn asked, confidently.

"What? Yes, Autumn we are. This is really serious," Taylor answers.

"Taylor! I can't do it! They're gonna cut me open!"

"The glass is already doing that! I'm not having this conversation with you right now!" Taylor argued.

"I'm not doing it, Taylor! I don't care what your reasoning is! I don't want this surgery!" Autumn yells, for the first time, shocking Taylor.

"Well as it's my decision, you're going to have this surgery!" Taylor yells back.

"Okay, both of you stop. Taylor, out here now. Austin, stay with Autumn," Andrea said, sternly, walking in.

Taylor followed her mother outside, engulfed into a hug by her boyfriend. She sighs and lets herself fall limp into his arms. He easily holds her up and sits down on a chair with her in his lap, rocking her back and forth. Scott, Andrea, and Tree watch as Taylor breaks down in her boyfriend's arms. After Taylor's sobs turned into small whimpers, Tree decided to speak up.

"I know this is really tough for you and especially Autumn and we all agree with going on with the surgery. You both are really emotional right now so you have to be the bigger person, Taylor, you need to explain it to her. She's scared, based on what you told us, she's scared that she'll die," Tree says.

"I know, I shouldn't have yelled at her, I was just really scared and I shut off," Taylor admits.

All of them walked in to see Autumn asleep and Austin sitting on the chair at the side of the room. Taylor carefully sits down on the bed right next to Autumn, Travis stood right by her side, holding her hands, the two women sat down on the small bench while Scott sat down in a chair next to his son.

"I'm sorry, Taylor," Autumn whispered, proving that she wasn't actually asleep.

Taylor whips her head from Travis to look at the girl who continued to speak, "I'm sorry, I know you're right, I'm just scared. Please don't hit me, I swear I won't yell again."

"Hit you?" Taylor asked, confused.

"Please don't, I'm really sorry. Please don't hit me," Autumn pleaded, shielding her head with her arms.

"Baby, I will never ever lay my hands on you. No one here will, no matter what you do," Taylor says.

"Not even if I deserve it?"

"Why would you deserve it?"

"Because I yelled at you."

"That's no reason, there is no reason for anyone to hit a kid for yelling, especially in your situation, you're stressed and scared. No one here will ever hit you, no matter what," Taylor reassured.

"Really?" Autumn asked.

Taylor looked at her mom with tears in her eyes. The girl sounded so confused and happy by Taylor's response, her heart broke. As she felt the tears flow, Taylor ran out the room, followed by Travis.

"Autumn needs someone here, I think she'll be more comfortable because you've seen her before," Travis said, as Scott and Andrea tried to follow Taylor.

Andrea and Scott went and sat by the girl who was now shaking and trembling while Travis followed after Taylor.

"Did you see her, Trav, did you hear her?" Taylor cried.

"I know, baby, I know. She really needs someone like you to tell her the truth, she's been hurt too much," he responds.

"I couldn't cry in front of her but her tone, the happiness when I said I wouldn't hit her, it broke my heart," Taylor said, sniffling.

"I know, baby," Travis cooed, as he wrapped his arm around her and rocked them back and forth.

They both walked back inside to see Autumn violently shaking and crying in Andrea's arms while everyone else was trying to wake her up. Taylor's eyes widened as she pushed past them to Autumn.

"Autumn! My sweet girl, wake up! Please!" Taylor cried, gently shaking her.

"No, no, he can't be dead! No!" Autumn screamed, but didn't wake up.

"Baby, wake up, please. Autumn, please!" Taylor cried, shaking her harder.