The Countdown

"Who's in there?" Brad said. The door handle rattled again. Y/n and Toby exchange glances. Y/n shook her head and brought her index finger to her lips, telling him to stay quiet. Toby nodded. They heard Brad scoff from the other side of the door.

"Dammit, I'll have to go get the keys" Brad grumbled, his footsteps echoing down the hallway. Y/n put her ear to the door, waiting until nothing could be heard.

"We gotta hurry..." She whispered, starting to stuff her food back into the paper bag. Toby did the same, cramming the remaining part of his sandwich into his mouth and packing up his other food.

Y/n unlocked the door and peeked into the hallway. "He's gone, let's go!" She said, hurrying out the door. Toby flipped off the lights and closed the door gently behind him. They snuck down the athletic wing and to the commons.

"That was terrifying" Toby sighed in relief, his heart beating like a drum in his chest. Y/n laughed, nearly out of breath.

"We made it though" Y/n said with a grin. She glanced to the few people walking around the school before looking at Toby again. "I have an idea" she said, walking towards the backdoors of the school.

"Hm" Toby mumbled, pulling a chip from his bag and crunching down on it. He walked beside her, even though he wasn't much taller than her. He was actually quite short for his age. 18 years old and only around five and a half feet tall.

Y/n fished her keys from her pocket and brought Toby to her car. Toby looked at Y/n, 'Wait, we're leaving?' He thought, gripping the bag in his hand. Y/n went to the drivers side and unlocked the doors. She got in the car and started it, waving for him to get in the car too.

Toby's neck cracked to the side and he stared at the car. A flood of gorey memories invaded his mind. His sister's smile, the dark, rainy road. The music that hummed in the background of his and his sister's conversation... The crash... The fire... Lyra's mangled face.

He felt his heart sink into his stomach as the moment was relived in his mind. Y/n quickly honked the car horn, making Toby jump. His eyes snapped over to Y/n's smile... The same smile that left a dull ache in his heart.

Toby slowly went over to the passenger side door, opening it and sitting inside. His stomach twisted and his mind screamed from him to get out of the car as soon as possible, but he didn't. Y/n slowly leaned forward, trying to see Toby's face through his bangs.

"Are you okay?" She asked softly, her cheery smile turning into a concerned and caring look. Toby's mouth went dry as he avoided eye contact. He sank back into the seat and clicked the seat belt into place, pulling it as tight as possible against himself.

"I-I've had bad car experiences..." He said, his voice barely above a whisper. Y/n's shoulders dropped and she turned off the car.

"We don't have to go if you don't want to" Y/n said softly, putting her hands in her jacket pockets. Toby looked at Y/n, some of his hair falling over his eyes.

"No!" Toby said quickly, looking through the windshield. "I wanna go... With you..." He added quietly, gripping his seatbelt. Embarrassment entered the mix of fear and dread, causing his pale face to turn a light pink.

"If you say so..." Y/n said, the smile creeping back to her face. She turned the car back on and started to pull out of her parking spot, onto the main road.

Toby's paranoia was beating him up internally the entire drive. Each car that passed by or even came close them filled him with nerves. He would occasionally glance at Y/n, seeing how she was so calm and confident in her driving abilities.

Toby didn't want her to think that he was doubting her ability to drive normally, so he eventually pulled himself together. His eyes still wide as he let out a shaky exhale. Toby gripped the edge of his seat with one hand.

Y/n gently placed one hand on top of his, giving it a comforting squeeze. She was worried about him and she didn't want him to feel unsafe. Toby's face went from a light pink to a dark red color. He looked out the side window to hide his flustered expression, not moving his hand in the slightest.

It has been a very long time since Toby has been given such affection. He didn't know how to react it. He would have said 'thank you', but he didn't, thinking it would be another awkward slip up for him.

After hours of driving around to the town, Toby finally felt a little comfortable with Y/n behind the wheel. The sun was setting on the horizon and it was getting to be late. Toby gave Y/n his address and they soon pulled down his road. She drove up to Toby's house and put the car in park.

"That was actually fun" Toby said with a tiny smile, unbuckiling how seatbelt and opening the car door. Being out of the car make him feel almost instantly better.

"Yeah, we should skip school again some other time" she chuckled, looking at him. Toby nodded with one hand on the car door. A thought that has been brewing in the back of his mind finally spilled out all at once.

"Um.. Soo.. I was thinking, only if you really want to, you should go to homecoming... I-I mean you and me. We should go to homecoming... y'know... Like the dance thing! I think it could be fun... But as friends!" Toby rambled, tapping his finger on the car door. He fumbled more and more with each word he spoke.

Y/n chuckled and nodded, "Okay, yeah, I'll go with you. Maybe it won't be as miserable with you there" she said, smiling at Toby's stutters. Toby clamped a shaky hand over his mouth and nodded.

"O-o-okay... Cool..." He said, shutting the car door. Y/n snickered with the window rolled down so she could still talk to him.

"Cool" Y/n said back. Toby's heart was sent aflutter and he stepped to the side walk. Y/n waved at him and drove away. Toby watched the car disappear out of sight before grinning like a fool.

He finally did it!... Kinda..