𝑃𝑖𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑃𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟

After a long, drawn-out apology from Maddie that didn't seem very sincere, Y/N caved and stayed friends with her. They weren't as close as before, but Y/N was slightly relieved of that. Y/N's mind was still bubbling with the idea of actually going home with Toby. The thought of the dance seemed more bearable now. At least she had someone to go with besides Maddie, who would most likely be hanging out with some guy who was "different" from the last.

Maddie was fitting into her cheer costume in the girl's dressing room. Y/N, who was pulled along by Maddie, sat on one of the benches. Maddie glimpsed at Y/N before fixing her thick amount of mascara in the mirror.
"So, what are you doing after the game?" Maddie asked, leaning against the sink. Y/N was snapped out of thought.

"I think I'm going to go hang out with someone," she responded, shrugging her shoulders dismissively.
"With who? It's not like you have many friends to hang out with," Maddie said plainly, pulling her skirt up to be higher on her waist.

"Um.." Y/N rubbed the back of her neck. "I have a new friend," Y/N said hesitantly, crossing her arms. Maddie rolled her eyes with a sigh.
"Okay, whatever. I need to go out to the court anyway," Maddie said with a smile. Maddie left the door, and Y/N was left alone in the locker room. She let out a relieved sigh as Maddie shut the door behind her.

Maddie's comment about her not having many friends made her upset. Being in Maddie's shadow was never a good place to be, especially because of Maddie's reputation. Her thoughts on Maddie were filtered out by the idea of getting to see Toby again. They were going to hang out later that evening, and tomorrow was the homecoming dance.

Y/N took out her phone to check the time. 5:23. The game started in seven minutes. She opened the door and peered down the hallway. A few members of the basket ball team were hurrying into the court at the last minute.

Y/N slid her hands into her pants's pockets and walked to the common area. Her eyes widened as she saw Toby on one of the benches, tapping his foot anxiously on the floor.

"Toby? What are you doing here? The game hasn't even started yet," Y/N asked, sitting next to Toby. His face faltered in its bleak expression.

"I was waiting for you—I mean, uh, I was waiting for the game to be over." He said, fumbiling over his words as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"You would have been waiting out here for hours." Y/n said. Toby shrugged and fixed his black hoodie's sleeves.

"I would have waited..." Toby said it quietly. Waiting for Y/N was a good excuse not to be home, especially at night. His neck popped to the side, and he stood up. "Where did you want to go?" he asked.

"I know a small taco stand we could go to. For some reason, it's still open even when it's cold out." Y/N smiled and stood beside Toby. Toby chuckled and nodded.

"Sounds good to me."

Brad untied his basketball shoes and tossed them into his gym bag. He was pissed that their team lost the homecoming game and that Y/N wasn't at the game, even though Maddie said she would be.

Two of Brad's close friends, Jason and Andy, watched as Brad grumbled to himself. Jason and Andy looked at each other, then back to Brad.

"It's just one game, Brad; there's no reason to get all bent out of shape," Jason said before chugging his water bottle.

"I'm not mad because we didn't win the game," Brad said in a bitter voice, pulling his regular shoes onto his feet.

"Then why are you acting so... I don't know. Upset?" Andy asked, tilting his head. Brad pushed his hair from his eyes, not answering. Andy and Jason glanced at each other again, trying to figure out why Brad was acting like he had a stick up his ass.