Chapter: 26

N A T A L I A

I refrained from provoking her, knowing better than to ignite her wrath.

Instead, I welcomed her into the pack house, even going as far as preparing tea for her. Noah remained outside, not willing to give us more privacy than that.

I was surprised to know my mother had breached the borders to begin with, now seated on the sofa at the pack house.

Glenda, now suspiciously gazing at the tea placed before her, made me frown at what she was possibly thinking.

She was thinking that I had poisoned her tea. You should have, my wolf snarled.

I could sense Glenda's lack of trust, a sentiment not surprising considering I had chosen the pack over Caia, my own family.

"You are returning to Caia with me," Glenda declared, her tone dripping with authority as she casually lifted the teacup.

Despite my initial shock of realising she was here, I replied firmly as the Luna. "Mother, I no longer belong in Caia. You have wasted your time coming here."

At my words, Glenda tightened her grip on her cup, causing for the glass piece to shatter on the floor.

"You have never defied me before," she observed, her tone venomous. "It's the werewolf, isn't it? He's influenced you to turn against your own mother."

I scoffed, unimpressed. "Merely," I replied. "You've always resented me for being a wolf."

Glenda's glare intensified. "Resentment?" she echoed, her purple eyes darkening.

"You have never looked at me the way you did Rhea," I countered, almost feeling sorry for myself. "It didn't take a genius to figure why."

To my surprise, Glenda burst out laughing. Her laughter filled the room, carrying a sinister undertone.

"I didn't just resent you," she sneered. "I loathed you. My god, you are awful! Not only do you look like him, but you behave disgracefully just like him!"

I didn't need clarification on whom she was referring to— my father, a werewolf.

These were words she had fed me since childhood, and now they barely fazed me.

"If you despise me so much, why do you want me back in Caia?" I challenged.

Clearly irked by my question, Glenda lunged forward, her hand wrapped around my throat. I hadn't expected her sudden attack, it took a second for me to retaliate.

Her touch around my throat burned, leaving a slight mark as I inflicted pain on her in return, making her release her grip. It was the first time she had gotten physical with me, and honestly, it hurt.

Unlike me, my mother had to resort to physical touch to inflict harm.

Feeling the slight burn on my claim, I sensed Callum trying to enter my mind within seconds. He must have felt it too.

Though I shouldn't have blocked him out, I remained focused on my mother, knowing better than to be distracted when it came to Glenda.