Chapter: 44

N A T A L I A

I felt him stir before I realised he was awake. When his eyes fluttered open, I immediately encircled him with my arms, pulling him close in an embrace.

My wolf whimpered as I sobbed quietly in to Callum's arm, silently thanking the moon Gods for saving him.

After relocating him to the pack house, he had been unconscious for a few hours, so his swift awakening caught me off guard, especially since the doctor had indicated it might take days.

"Thank God, you're awake," I exclaimed with relief, pulling back to look at him, as I composed myself, "I was so worried."

A faint smile curved his lips as he emitted a soft chuckle, the sound melting my heart instantly.

"Come here, princess," he instructed, drawing me nearer to him.

Without protesting, I nestled beside him in bed, resting my head on his chest. His arm enveloped me as he leaned down and planted a tender kiss on my forehead.

"Promise me you won't engage in fights like that again," I murmured anxiously, inhaling his scent to calm my wolf. "I can't bear the thought of ever losing you. Callum, I don't know what to do if anything happens to you."

"Shh," he hushed, his hold on me tightening. "I don't get injured often. I was momentarily distracted."

I raised my head to lock eyes with him. "That's highly unusual for you."

Callum smiled softly, his hand caressing my cheek gently. "You know me too well, my Luna."

A crease formed on my forehead. "This isn't a joking matter."

"I know," he conceded with a heavy sigh. "Somehow my mother was here."

I was taken aback, having assumed his mother was dead and knowing how guarded he was about his family. I was surprised he mentioned her so abruptly.

"Oh," I replied, at a loss for words.

I couldn't comprehend the relevance of mentioning his mother, and I felt both stunned and bewildered. Given the recent attack, the timing seemed completely off, unless she was somehow involved, which sounded absurd.

"Do you know what I realised today?" Callum asked, though it seemed more like a rhetorical question.

"What is it?" I inquired, wanting to assure him of my attention despite my confusion.

I wanted him to feel supported regardless of the sadness coursing through me. My wolf and I were worried about him, given he had been out for a few hours.

"I came to the realisation that my mother might not be who I thought she was," he continued, a melancholic smile gracing his face. He looked torn.

"What makes you think that?"

Callum absentmindedly twirled a strand of my hair, his brows furrowed. "She saw me after ten years, and didn't utter a word, not even a smile. My father died because of her, yet she has been alive all this time."