Chapter: 29

N A T A L I A

We were back at the pack house. Callum had me settled on his lap, his hands gently gliding up and down my side in a soothing matter.

He was wearing a set of grey joggers paired with a white t-shirt, and yet looked incredibly handsome, but I was far more worried about him considering what had happened to focus too much on his appearance.

"I'm okay," he assured me, attempting to tilt my chin up with his fingers to meet his gaze.

Despite his words, I sensed the lingering guilt within him, and I knew his words didn't completely reflect his thoughts.

"Did anyone from our pack get hurt?" I inquired.

Callum shook his head. "Our people are safe."

"Then why are you so tense?"

Tilting my head to meet his darkened gaze, I observed him closely. Something was wrong and I could feel it through our connection.

He swallowed audibly, his brows knit together. "They were mere pups. They shouldn't have turned rogue."

Reaching up, I gently smoothed the crease on his forehead, feeling a pang of sadness at the sight of his distress.

Callum didn't take trespassing lightly, and his reaction left me feeling puzzled.

He was hurting.

"It sounds like you had no alternative," I offered, hoping to ease his turmoil. 

"I should've captured them," Callum admitted. "Not killed them."

"Why didn't you?"

His eyes met mine at my words, darkness in them that told me he was in complete disbelief with himself.

"That was my original plan, but they said some things that triggered my wolf. I lost complete control," he told me. "I haven't lost control like that in a long time."

I could sense his wolf riding to the surface as memories clouded his mind, so instead of pressing further, I placed my hand on his chest, rubbing soothingly to calm him down.

I hadn't arrived in time to witness the precise moment Callum had dealt with the rogues, but I could sense he was tormented by it.

"You did what you had to for the pack," I whispered. "You shouldn't blame yourself now."

Callum remained silent, his jaw clenched. He traced along my cheek with the back of his fingers, sending a shiver down my spine.

"I won't let anyone take you away from me," he declared firmly, his voice resolute. "You are mine, Natalia."

"I'm not going anywhere," I assured him. "But you won't confine me next time. I'm stronger than you think."

My words elicited a smile from him, brightening his eyes as he leaned in to nuzzle my neck, peppering kisses along my mark.

"I didn't keep you away because I doubt your strength," he murmured against my skin. "No one willingly exposes their Luna to a rogue attack. I wouldn't risk it, especially when I have fighters."