✧˚[ 9 - DREAMS OF PEANUT BUTTER ]˚✧

Mid-January, at the outskirts of Rhode Island

Maiglöckchen [Lily of the Valley]. Even though it was far too early for Lilies of the Valley, he enthusiastically repeated Nika's last german voice message onto the little boy's self-painted picture, earning some weird stares from children and caregivers in return.

Thick white flakes battled against gravity without success behind the large windows in the painting room, while inside the sun rose anew with every child's smile and every new colorful picture. Visiting orphanages or the countless children's hospital wards during the festive season became just as much a part of Sebastian's life as a beautifully decorated Christmas tree or the obligatory New Year's dinner with his godmother. Every time he looked forward to it, even though it was a sad occasion.

This time, he also thought of a person who, while not an orphan, no longer had anyone by blood to whom she could be as close as she should be. Therefore, he wanted Nika to share this visit with him, at least in some way.

They stayed in touch despite the time gap and their different lives, which often made it difficult to reply back immediately. Something Sebastian expected. Not so much with their deep conversations. Although Nika initially left him hanging with her first message - solely, as she revealed to him, due to her lack of confidence and feeling intimidated at first - after a few days it seemed to both of them as if they had known each other for years. So it was a matter of course for him to let her be a part of his life just like all his other closest friends. She, in turn, told him about her day or trivial things happening to her. Just the sort of stuff you talked about with a friend. No nosy inquiries regarding one of his film projects. If at all, only when he brought it up himself. And no suspicious interest in the latest gossip involving his co-stars.

Sebastian appreciated her discretion. And the way she treated him. Not as a star she idolized - which she silently and secretly still did, but he never really minded - instead as a down-to-earth ordinary mortal, just like she was herself. Another fact that proved Sebastian's early instinct to be true. He trusted her. And he trusted her help.

A week before Christmas, Nika put an imaginary, or rather digital, present under his tree. She stumbled across Finia Soelm's profile in an little-known forum for young, ambitious indie authors. It hadn't been up for very long. Shortly after, she also created an Instagram account to promote her previous books.

However, Sebastian still got no face to this mysterious woman. Something that only sparked his interest even more.

"And what's your favorite dessert?" a girl wanted to know.

Sitting cross-legged on the carpet in front of him next to the other children with a plush penguin on her chest, she waited wide-eyed for his answer. Sebastian put aside the children's book he just finished reading. Outside, the gray clouds hung low, darkening Rhode Island's streets earlier than usual on this frosty winter afternoon. He would soon leave his little newfound friends to their dinner and head on the three-hour drive back to New York. A route he happily took. Even - as in this case - all alone, since there was neither press nor any PR campaign behind it. Just a simple webcast organized by the orphanage itself to draw attention to the parentless souls and encourage one or two generous donations.

He didn't have to think twice: "I like anything with chocolate. Chocolate and peanut butter. But not the chunky one, I like the creamy version. Sometimes I just take a chocolate bar, crumble it straight into the peanut butter, sit down in front of the TV and empty the whole jar in one go."

Shiny eyes and wide mouths grinning from ear to ear reminded him that he had a certain role model function, putting a reasonable veto on his own sweet tooth. But not without a certain nod to the mostly female caretakers, whom he managed to wrap around his finger with a wink in favor of the children, coaxing one or two exceptions out of them with a chuckle.