Chapter 8 - The accident

"Mom, you know, I always feel like a worthless person whenever I get my paycheck. How on earth am I going to save enough money with this job?" Ashley held the phone to her ears, feeling so much disappointment. She never failed to tell her mother how hard she tried, but money was never enough. She had already submitted thousands of applications for higher-paying jobs, but each time she received a depressing "unfortunately" response. When she was so close to getting such a job, the company promised to call her to let her know when she would resume, but they never did. After weeks of sending countless follow-up messages, she finally received a reply informing her that the position had been filled. She had even attempted the modelling agencies that had been suggested, but the experience was not as straightforward as initially believed.
"I know well, darling. The fact that there isn't always enough money for you to save as much as you would like isn't your fault; you are trying your hardest. You have saved at least something. I'm only worried about a relapse, and it's unfortunate that we still don't have enough money for the surgery that Dr. George recommended. And to avoid having a relapse, I suggest you must remain resilient and okay."

The soothing voice of her mother echoed through the phone's earpiece. She was having a phone conversation with her mom after a long day at work. She wasn't worried about the surgery right now because Dr. George had recommended several ways for her to manage her condition, and they were working. Whenever they spoke, she never held back when expressing her emotions to her mother. Her mother called to let her know that she had begun the private tutoring they had discussed. Even though Mrs Ray's retirement as a widowed schoolteacher was never easy, she was able to save enough money through prudent financial choices to supplement her pension and pay off her mortgage on her modest log cabin in the sleepy Straton town of Downtown. She then relied on private tutoring, which only paid her enough to cover her utility bills.

Ashley took a dose of desmopressin while they talked because she knew it would be one of those nights when she would have trouble sleeping normally. She was relieved that Mrs Ray had been scheduled for tutoring because she worried about how the poor woman would have fared.

"How is Mrs. Brown?"

"She is fine. She has been visiting less often. I think she got busy with the factory. I heard they got a contract to mass-produce pullovers. You know Mrs. Brown would be delighted to be present to make sure everything runs smoothly."

"Yes. Poor Mrs Brown. She has been working so hard ever since Mr. Brown died. And she doesn't want to remarry, mom? Just like you."

"I have always told you that remarrying is extremely difficult if you truly love your partner. Every day since your father died, I have been reminded of him, and you and Eddy are constant reminders of him. It's so hard. So, I do not blame Mrs. Brown for her choices, because I have been in her shoes. Even though so much time has passed, it still seems like yesterday. Although Mr. Brown's death shocked her, we must be thankful that she lived for Harold."

Mr Ray died on the construction site when Ashley was only seven years old. She remembered her mother throwing herself on the ground when she learned the news and refusing to eat for months afterward. Eva, who was unmarried at the time, came to spend time with them and assist Mrs Ray in gathering herself because Edmund was only a few months old and required a lot of care and attention.

"I've got to go, mom. I would like to go for a stroll to unwind. The weather has improved today."

"Of course. Talk later".

Ashley ended the phone call. She put on her winter coat and mittens and walked through the streets of Greensville. She had her scarf and hat on because it was already cold inside. It was not brass-monkey weather outside, so it was just good enough for her to take a stroll. Breathing in the clean, crisp air, she walked slowly, as if she were counting her steps. She was headed for a nearby garden bench. As she got closer, she noticed a Labrador retriever sitting near the bench with an owner who appeared to be lost in thought. She was too close to change her mind, and as she got closer, a soft male voice whispered.

"Ashley?"

She took a closer look to ensure she recognised the face correctly. It was Trevor and a fine Labrador dog. She felt at ease. She was frightened at first because people hardly sat out there. She had never met anyone on the garden bench since she moved to the neighbourhood. Neighbours preferred the other side of the street, which is better lit and has more people. But when Ashley needed some peace outside, she relied on this particular garden bench.
"Hi, Trevor."
Trevor motioned with his hand that she could sit beside them.
"I hope I have not taken your spot."
"It's fine. The space is big enough for all of us."
"Oh yeah. It is."
Trevor was outside in the cold evening, reflecting on his conversation with the mayor. He had been gloomy all day. He thought it was unfair for everyone to look up to him to carry on his father's legacy. What if he weren't as strong as his father? What if he failed? What if he had no desire to follow in his father's footsteps at all? These were questions that were lingering in his mind. His mother's words had melted him when she pleaded that Trevor should never consider passing on his father's legacy to someone else. Although Trevor shared his father's strong will, he did not think he would be content living in his father's opulent lifestyle. All he wanted was a modest life with his future family, operating a small company, and residing in a neighbourhood with regular people. He also wanted to have the natural freedom to dress however he pleased, without fear of being recognised or criticised by others. He wasn't interested in the lifestyle that Boulevard had to offer. He had no desire to live in solitude on several hectares of land with his family. He wanted to live in a community of real people.

"Have you always lived in Greensville?" Trevor questioned Ashley, whose head was held high, and her thoughts were completely blank.

"No. I moved here barely one year ago. I grew up in Straton Town in Downtown. I got a job here after finishing university, so I had to relocate."
"I see. Thank you for the gift. How did you come across such a work of art? It must have cost a lot."
"Not really."
"Art is expensive in Boulevard, where I'm from. It's one of the most expensive presents to give someone," Trevor clarified.

"Really? I'm hoping you're not just saying that to praise my gift."

"Nah. It is very expensive to furnish a home on Boulevard with artwork, especially with art displayed in a gallery. Trevor stopped to study Ashley's face in the dim light coming from the poles.

"Did you buy it from an artist? I wasn't sure how I was going to reach the artist. I already told Katie to contact you, but, fortunately, we met."

Ashley couldn't believe her ears. Trevor was joking. Making artwork for the house will earn Edmund a lot of money, but it would be a massive undertaking for Edmund. Ashley didn't want to come off as enthusiastic.

"I will give you the artist's number, so you can call him." The fact that the artist was Ashley's brother didn't seem like it should be mentioned. After all, it was business. Ashley's phone rang; it was Richard calling. She wondered why Richard would call at that time of the day. She excused herself to talk to Richard.

"Have you seen the news?" came Richard's trembling voice.

"What news? What are you talking about?"

Trevor could sense the anxiety in Ashley's expressions and the tenseness in her voice as her heart raced.

"There was a bus crash, and Edmund was a passenger on the bus. I just got a call from Victoria Hospital".

Ashley was fifty shades of perplexed. Her hands began to shake, and the phone fell from her grasp. She attempted to console herself, but tears began to fall. Trevor was taken aback and was uncertain about how to assist.

"What has happened? Is everything all right?" Trevor inquired worriedly.

"My brother was involved in a bus crash," Ashley said shakily. Trevor and his dog followed Ashley as she stumbled backwards and forwards, grabbed her phone and ran fearfully towards her house.

"Ashley, let me help. I will drive you!"