Chapter 11: Unpleasant reunion

Coming out of the hospital felt like a luxury to Madison and her family, especially Mandy who had been bedridden for weeks. It's been a week since the surgery and Mandy was finally discharged to continue the rest of her recovery at home. The family was happy to have her back and healthy, the dreadful phase was finally over.

“So you both are saying that over the course of my sickness, Madison got married?” Mandy asked for the umpteenth time in shock. Her mother and sister had broken the news to her few hours ago and she still couldn't believe it. She knew her sister didn't have any suitors so it was a surprise that she got married so quickly.

“Yes, Mandy” Madison rolled her eyes at her sister's childishness.

“I have been planning for your wedding for years now and just when I was sick, you got married? That's not fair” Mandy whined.

“You have not recovered completely, quit blabbering” Joyce scolded lightly while Madison laughed. They didn't tell Mandy what type of marriage it was and the circumstances that surrounded it, it was unnecessary and they didn't want her to feel guilty.

“Okay, where is he now, what's his name, shouldn't he be here with us too?” Mandy ignored her mother and bombarded her sister with questions.

“His name is Robert, I told you he is the son of dad's business partner so he's very busy with work, that's why he couldn't be here but he sends his greetings” Madison answered.

“Hmmm, that's okay. But you better tell him he has to specially appease me as his wife's sister or else I won't let him see you okay?” Mandy asked

“Okay, I'll tell him” Madison chuckled and answered. She couldn't help but wonder how Mandy would feel if she ended the marriage with Robert.

They arrived at their humble home minutes later, it was bungalow house that had served them for many years. Mandy was laid down to rest while Madison and their mother cleaned and cooked. It was a happy day for all of them because Mandy was back home. They were having the typical family time that they missed, eating and watch TV when a knock came from the door.

Madison paused the TV and looked at her sister and mother in surprise, “Did you guys order something or expecting anyone?” she asked

They shook their head saying no and the knock came again. Madison got up to answer the door and was shocked to see her father, Jacob at the entrance with a bouquet of flowers.

“What are you doing here?” Madison asked. She hadn't seen him since that day when she came to beg him for help. She might have reached out to him then but it was only because she was desperate, she still disliked him for cheating on her mother and abandoning them.

“I came to give my well wishes to Mandy, she must be recovering after the surgery right?” he asked with a nervous chuckle.

“Well…”

“What taking you so long Maddie, who is at the door?” Joyce voice was heard and seconds later her figure was seen at the door as well. Her face fell when she saw Jacob, her ex husband, she had anger in her eyes at the sight of him.

“What is he doing here, Maddie? Did you give him the address to our house?” she asked

“No, no mum, I didn't. I'm just as surprised as you are” Madison said with her hands up in surrender.

“She's right, she did not give me the address. I would like to see my daughter please” Jacob said.

“Your daughter? The one you abandoned?” Joyce asked, anger already brimming inside of her.

“Mum…” Madison tried to calm her down by placing her hand on her shoulder but her mother shoved it away.

“Please, not now Joyce. Am I not allowed to see my daughter?” Jacob retorted

“She ceased to be YOUR daughter the day I left you. You have no right. When Maddie came to beg you for money to treat, you dared to give her a ridiculous condition and now you are standing before me and asking for your daughter? You must be joking” Joyce fumed, her voice harsher and louder.

“I explained it to Madison, I was in a tight corner and I had no choice. Please, let me just see her” Jacob pleaded.

Joyce was about to refuse again when Mandy's voice cut her off, “Mom, who is that at the door?”

The trio turned quiet and calmer as Mandy joined them. The doctor had said to keep her away from any atom of stress or worry so she could heal faster so no one knew what to say and to say.

“Hey princess, I'm Jacob, your father” Jacob said with a smile ignoring his ex wife's death glares.

“My father?” Mandy's eyes widened in surprise. Joyce had left while she was pregnant for her so Mandy didn't get to see or know her father.

“I'm sorry for taking so long to see you, I really hope you can forgive me” Jacob said. Joyce was about to say something but Madison stopped her.

“I.. I don't know…” Mandy stammered dazed. She didn't know how to react to her father showing up unexpectedly after so many years.

“Don't worry, princess. Take your time. I promise to make it up to you so can I come in?” he asked.

“Ye… ” Mandy paused to look at her mother for permission. It was clear in her eyes that she wanted to know more about her father but then she was old enough to know her mother didn't approve of it. Anytime she asked about her Dad, her mom used to dismiss her and scold her not to mention his name.

“It's okay dear, let him in” Joyce said when she saw the longing in her daughter's eyes. She knew the day would come when she wouldn't be able to hide the children away from their father but she just didn't know it was today. Plus, she didn't want to make her daughter sad during her recovery, she didn't want any complications.

Mandy's face brightened and she smiled genuinely before ushering Jacob into the house. It was remaining Madison and her mother standing outside.

Madison understood how her mother felt, she didn't know what to do so she just took her mother's hand in hers and said, “Everything's going to be fine, mum. Everything's going to be fine”

————>

What are your thoughts about this chapter? Jacob's arrival?

Let me know 🤗 and don't forget to press on the star at the bottom left corner to vote. I need your encouragement to continue.