Chapter 15: Private time with mother in-law

Maximus dropped Madison at Robert's parents house. She had never been to their house so she was amazed by the extravagance of it, it was huge and screamed riches. She could easily mistake it for a royal castle.

“Madison, my dear, you are here… so nice to see you” Helen said and came in for a hug when the maids brought Madison to her in her bedroom.

Madison hugged her back and put on a small smile. Robert's family were very friendly and nice, she couldn't help but wonder why he was so different from them.

“So I called you here because I need your help” she pouted like a child and pulled Madison to sit on the king sized bed.

“With what?”

“There is this social event that George and I would be attending. I have been bummed about what to wear and I thought you might have an idea, yuuno two heads are better than one” Helen winked and grinned.

Madison smiled, “Sure. I'll love to help”

“Great” Helen clapped happily before opening her walk-in closet to reveal a vast array of clothes. Madison couldn't stop her mouth hanging open, she has never had this many clothes. Apart from the clothes, there was a full wall of shoes and bags on the opposite side of the room and at the center was a fancy show glass filled with jewelry ranging from pearls to diamonds. Compared to all that Helen had, Madison was lesser than a church rat.

“Stop acting so stunned, it's really nothing much” Helen waved her off with a grin.

Madison nearly choked on air at her mother in law's words, this was nothing much? Then what would something much look like?

“By the way, I see you liked those dresses I sent over. That black dress you chose looked dazzling on you” Helen praised

“Oh, you were the one who sent them over? I didn't know. Thank you very much, I loved them” Madison quickly replied, she felt embarrassed that Robert couldn't even tell her it was from his step mother so she could thank her properly. She must have thought Maddie was ungrateful when she didn't acknowledge it.

“It's alright, I figured he didn't tell you” Helen reassured with a smile.

“How is he anyway?” she added.

Madison couldn't stop the sigh that escaped her mouth as she said fine.
Helen frowned and said “That doesn't sound fine. Come on, come sit let's talk”

She went back to sit on her bed and Madison followed after her like her daughter. “What's wrong dear? Tell me everything” she urged calmly.

Madison felt the walls of tears that she had the holding back break through and she didn't try to stop it anymore. “Oh poor child” Helen cooed and brought Madison's head closer to her chest while she cried and rubbed slow circles on her back to calm her down.

Few minutes later, Madison's cries had come down and she pulled away from Helen, then she said, “I don't want to be in a loveless marriage for the rest of my life. I am willing to put in work with Robert but he is not giving me any face at all. Since the dinner, he has been nowhere to be seen… he refused to return home” she complained bitterly.

“What? That was three weeks ago. How could he do that to you?” Helen exclaimed in surprise. Madison kept crying silently and didn't reply, Helen felt pity for her. She was a newlywed who was supposed to be having the best time of her life with her husband but yet she was going through loneliness in her husband's absence.

Helen sighed and said in annoyance, “I will speak to my husband about this okay? Robert is truly very stubborn, he always wants to have his way. He knows you would come to us and thereby force us to do his bidding but it's alright, if it's the company he wants to treat you right then it's the company he'll get”

Then she paused and continued in a more lighter tone, “Marriages aren't all smooth sailing, George and I's weren't. You might not know the full story but George cheated on me with his secretary, that was how Robert was born. I was deeply hurt because I had been nothing but a faithful wife and our marriage was put on a wide strain. He begged and begged, he even cut ties with the secretary and the unborn baby and it took a while before I forgave him. Years later, our marriage became stronger after that and that's when we realized that we did wrong by abandoning the secretary and their child. By the time we found them, Robert's mother was on the verge of death and Robert already developed deep resentment for us. I wasn't able to bear children so I tried my best to be the best mother to Robert even though he turned rebellious. Madison, I want you to understand that Robert wasn't always like this. He went through a lot during those years with his mother and it is not my story to tell. Bring that story out of him and his true character will resurface. It's definitely not going to be easy so you have to buckle up and be strong, I still believe you both are going to be a great couple” She smiled genuinely in the end.

Madison was shocked to hear this side of Robert. She felt pity for him because she knew he must have had a rough childhood to be this cold hearted, now she was curious to see the other side of him. It was a forever contract anyway, so they had all the time in the world to take it slow. She felt a renewed surge of energy to connect with her husband again.

“Thank you very much, Helen,” Madison said with a genuinely grateful heart. She was an angel sent to help her through this tough time.

“You are welcome, sweetheart” Helen paused and grinned, “Now, I know the perfect way to ease the mood, let's go shopping” she said with a small dance.