Chapter 23: Two families meet

“So I was thinking it was about time to visit the newly wed couples in their home and see how they were doing, I haven't heard from you guys in a while” Helen said as they all sat down in the living room that we barely used.

“And Mandy has been disturbing me since she got discharged that she wanted to come see you guys, so we thought to come today” Joyce said while giving Mandy an eye roll.

“It's not a problem, you are all welcome here anytime” Madison said with a smile.

After the unexpected visit from the two families, Madison had told them to make themselves comfortable while she went to give Robert his soup. She told him of the visitors outside and that he shouldn't worry, she would handle them herself. He should just freshen up and come down when he feels better. Then she went to her room to hurriedly freshen up herself and look more presentable before coming back down.

“Where's Robert? Does he not know that we are here?” George asked, his face forming a frown to say that he was displeased.

“uhm… he knows, I told him. He's getting ready and would be down soon” Madison answered quickly and his face became a little lighter. She knew she shouldn't tell them about what happened the previous night or else it might start an argument between Robert and his father.

Everyone began talking happily like one big family, Joyce and Helen bonded almost immediately to which Madison was not really surprised, they were very friendly people and shared some similarities. Madison was pleased to see everyone talk so freely, last time they met it was cold and strange because it was their wedding and the circumstances that surrounded it was not an happy one. But now, the second meeting was better and Madison saw it as progress.

“Sorry, everyone. I didn't know you guys were coming or I else I would have prepared for it, allow me to fix something up quickly” Madison said after they had chatted for a few minutes. The maids had brought in wine, drinks and snacks earlier but Madison wanted to cook a proper meal.

“It's no worry dear, don't stress yourself, it's fine” George waved her off before he brought his glass of wine to his lips.

“I insist, you guys get to taste my cooking for the first time and I want to impress you” Madison said with a grin what made everyone laugh.

“She cooks well, she learnt from the best afterall” Joyce chipped in with proud look.

Helen chuckled and said, “In that case, I want whatever you cooked this morning, it smells delicious”

“That's chicken pepper soup, it tastes delicious as well. She learnt for me” Joyce said. Madison was grateful that her mum omitted the fact that it was an hangover soup, she seemed to have noticed that that was an information that her daughter didn't want to disclose so she didn't say it.

“yeah mum, I'm pretty sure everyone knows I could only learn from you since you are my mother” Madison said and everyone laughed.

“Please excuse me” Madison said before leaving them and heading to the kitchen. She cooks were already waiting for her to get to work. She still had enough soup for everyone so she just decided to make rice to go with it. Then she made other side dishes like bacon, salad and others, the scent of the food permeated the usually lonely mansion and the chatter from everyone made it feel more like a home.

With help, she was already done in an hour and the food was served in the dinning area. Meanwhile Robert felt much better after the soup and drugs so he joined the guests while Madison was cooking.

It was a full house as everyone sat in the dinning area to eat, Madison felt happy from the praises everyone dropped about her delicious cooking and they all chatted like one big family. Madison looked at Robert, he wasn't overly smiling and talking but it was way better than the dinner with his parents and she felt truly proud of her achievements. And he seemed to be more fond of Mandy than everyone there and Mandy too. They spoke to each other like best friends and it pleased Madison greatly. At some point, he even took her on a tour around the house and she wouldn't stop talking about it.

“Alright, everyone, can I get your attention? I have a wonderful announcement to make” George clinked his wine glass with a spoon and everyone immediately turned quiet and they all turned their attention to him.

“Well, I am happy to announce that my handing over of my company to my son would be happening in five days and you are all invited” he said happily.

Everyone cheered and clapped happily and told Robert congratulations to which he received wholeheartedly. Joyce shared a look with her daughter, Madison but she chose to ignore it and join in the celebration.

She knew what her mother was trying to say so she was not offended by it because she knew her mother only wanted to protect her from getting heartbroken by love. She was trying to tell her that in 5 days, they would be able to know if Robert was just accomodating her to satisfy his parents till when he gets the company or he was genuinely giving their marriage a chance. Madison tried to be neutral and just enjoy the moment but she knew deep down that she would still be as heartbroken when she found out the truth.

She looked at Robert, hoping to see if he was playing with her feelings as if it could be written on the face. She genuinely wished he wasn't because she didn't even know what to do afterwards. They were bounded by a forever contract which meant she would be stuck with him forever or could she just damn the consequences and run away?