18

NAVIGATING THE FALLOUT

〰・♡・〰

A hush fell over the group as Iñigo spoke, his voice trembling slightly. "I know you guys want to help, but... I can't let you take down LeeCorp."

Disbelief clouded Keera's face. "But Iñigo, after everything they've done..."

"They're still my parents," he cut in, his voice cracking. "Sure, they messed up, big time. But there has to be another way. Maybe I can talk to them, make them understand."

A wave of sympathy washed over Keera. She understood Iñigo's loyalty, even after his ordeal. But reason warred with emotion.

"Iñigo," David chimed in, his voice gentle, "talking might not be enough. This is bigger than just you. LeeCorp is hurting a lot of people."

John grunted in agreement. "They'll keep doing it unless someone stops them."

Iñigo squeezed his eyes shut, his face etched with internal conflict. "I know," he said, his voice barely a whisper. "But they're my family. Don't you get it?"

Maya, her gaze filled with empathy, knelt before Iñigo. "We understand, honey. Family is important. But sometimes, love means doing what's right, even if it's hard."

"Maybe there's a way to do both," Keera said, a flicker of hope sparking in her eyes. "We expose their crimes, but we also give them a chance to redeem themselves. A public apology, a commitment to clean up their act."

Iñigo's eyes flickered with a spark of interest. "You think that could work?"

"It's a possibility," David said cautiously. "But we can't be naive. LeeCorp is ruthless. They might fight back harder, try to silence us again."

"We'll be ready for them," Maya said, her voice firm with resolve. "We have John, the evidence, and Margaret Thorne. They can't spin their way out of this one."

A tense silence hung in the air as Iñigo weighed his options. He looked at each of them, his gaze lingering on Keera for a beat longer than necessary. Finally, he spoke, his voice resolute.

"Alright," he said. "Let's do it. We expose them, but we also try to make them see reason. Maybe there's still a chance to save my family, both the one I was born into and the one we've become here."

A wave of relief washed over Keera. They had a plan, one that acknowledged Iñigo's pain while still pursuing justice. Now, it was time to put it into action.

"Alright, team," Maya said, her voice filled with determination. "Let's get to work. We have a corporation to expose and a family to save."

The following days were a whirlwind of activity. John met with Margaret Thorne, a tense but ultimately successful encounter. David meticulously planned the Underground Journal leak, crafting a message that was both impactful and informative. Keera, with her mom's help, focused on Iñigo, ensuring his safety and preparing him for the media storm that was about to hit.

Finally, the day arrived. The Underground Journal released its bombshell article, a detailed exposé of LeeCorp's environmental crimes, with John as the named source. Margaret Thorne, true to her reputation, picked up the story, running it on her high-profile investigative show.

The public outcry was immediate and swift. News outlets swarmed LeeCorp headquarters, demanding answers. LeeCorp's stock plummeted, and environmental groups renewed their calls for stricter regulations.

But amidst the chaos, there was a glimmer of hope. LeeCorp, under intense pressure, issued a public apology, admitting their mistakes and outlining a plan for remediation. It wasn't perfect, but it was a start.

As the dust settled, the team gathered at their safe house, a sense of weary triumph hanging in the air. They had done it. They had exposed LeeCorp, forced them to take accountability, and perhaps, just perhaps, started a conversation about corporate responsibility.

"We did it," Keera whispered, a smile gracing her lips.

Iñigo nodded, his gaze filled with a mix of relief and sadness. "Thanks, guys. For everything."

John, who had remained surprisingly quiet throughout the ordeal, spoke up. "You kids are alright," he said, a gruff nod of respect.

Maya ruffled Iñigo's hair affectionately. "We're proud of you, honey. You showed a lot of courage."

David, a shy smile playing on his lips, caught Keera's eye. A look of unspoken understanding passed between them.

The victory felt hollow as Keera walked the halls of Agora High. Sure, LeeCorp was reeling, their crimes exposed for the world to see. But the fallout, as always, trickled down to the most unexpected places. Here, in the microcosm of high school, Iñigo became the target.

He might be the heir to a billion-dollar company, but that did little to shield him from the whispers and pointed stares. Even though LeeCorp owned half the school's equipment, the new football stadium practically named after his father, Iñigo was suddenly the 'eco-villain's son.'

Keera spotted him at his locker, hunched over with a textbook, a group of jocks snickering nearby. Fury bubbled in her chest. She marched right over, her posture straight, her chin held high.

"Hey," she said, her voice firm.

Iñigo looked up, surprise flickering across his face. "Keera, what are you doing?"

"Just showing some solidarity," she said, leaning against the locker next to his.

The jocks, sensing trouble, slunk away, their laughter fading down the hallway.

"You don't have to do this," Iñigo mumbled, shoving a stray strand of hair out of his eyes. "They'll just turn on you too."

"Let them," Keera said, her voice defiant. "We exposed a corrupt company. We did the right thing."

Iñigo sighed, the weight of the world seemingly on his shoulders. "Yeah, but at what cost? Now everyone thinks my family is a bunch of eco-freaks who pollute the planet while driving their fancy cars."

"They're wrong," Keera said, her voice gentle. "LeeCorp made mistakes, but that doesn't define you or your family. You stood up to them, and that's what matters."

Iñigo looked at her, a flicker of gratitude shining in his eyes. "Thanks, Keera. You have no idea what that means to me."

A blush crept up Keera's neck. Before she could respond, a voice chimed in from behind them.

"Well, well, well," came Maya's voice, laced with amusement. "Looks like someone has a secret admirer."

Keera whirled around, her cheeks burning. "Mom!"

Maya chuckled, her eyes twinkling. "Just teasing, sweetheart. But seriously, you two look good together."

Iñigo coughed awkwardly, his gaze darting nervously between Keera and Maya.

"Actually, Mrs. Mendoza," he stammered, "I was just thanking Keera for..."

He trailed off, struggling to find the right words. Keera, for once, felt grateful for her mom's presence. It took the pressure off, the awkwardness of their closeness.

"Don't worry about it, honey," Maya said, patting Iñigo's shoulder gently. "Just know that whatever happens, we'll support you both."

The bell rang, signaling the end of their break. Keera and Iñigo exchanged a shy smile, a silent promise hanging between them. The fight for justice wasn't over. LeeCorp still had a long way to go, and the schoolyard gossip would likely persist. But together, with courage and perhaps a spark of something more, they were ready to face whatever came their way.

"See you in class," Keera said, a playful glint in her eyes.

"Yeah," Iñigo replied, a genuine smile breaking across his face. "See you."

As they walked in different directions, a sense of hope bloomed in Keera's chest.