Chapter Six

Mom is beyond happy to see Gail—probably for the third time this week. I meekly walk to the bedroom and close myself in to give them privacy to gossip.

Every once in a while, they gasp in agreement and then continue murmuring in hush tones, discussing the latest episode of their favorite TV show. I smile discreetly. Hearing her laughter filling the apartment is blissful. It's one of the many things I have started appreciating more after her collapse.

I lean back against the headboard, an abandoned book on my lap. The newspaper that I bought this morning lies on the other end of the bed. My phone data plan is already emptied for the month after spending hours online applying for jobs. For now, I am left to scour the newspapers advertisement papers around the city. Looking at columns for minimum wage and back-breaking jobs depressed me. If only I had the skills to find an appropriate position. Unfortunately, working a full-time job with inconsistent schedules limits my availability and chances of getting hired. And then there are transportation issues.

I sigh with agony.

As the evening approaches, I start getting more anxious. Looking through the shared closet, I have yet to find a proper outfit for tonight. Maybe I should just cancel it and make an excuse? I hopelessly flop back on the bed and huff loudly.

That's when I notice the forgotten black box sitting at the far end of the closet. My mother's high school graduation gift! The dress I never wore because I didn't even attend the graduation ceremony. Inside lies a blue-laced chiffon cocktail dress. I have wanted to sell it to a thrift shop for a few bucks but never actually gone through with it. I don't have the heart for it.

I hold it up to my shoulder. The bell-shaped sleeves make lovely ruffles. Had the incident not happened, I'm sure my parents would have loved to see me wear it to accept my diploma. But that, along with many other dreams, evaporated into the air.

I hastily put it on and walk out of the bedroom to finally tell Mom about my date. She is just about to close the door as she says her final goodbye to Gail.

"Mom." I fumble with my hand to control my nervousness. She turns around to face me and puts her hands on her mouth to muffle her gasp. Her eyes are round with joy.

"Oh my goodness. You look beautiful in that dress." She comes closer and pulls me into her arms.

"I . . . um . . . have a date," I blurt finally, closing my eyes. I don't want to disappoint or give her false hope knowing that things will never get serious between Tyler and me. Even if we connect, between Mom—who needs medical attention—house bills, and the endless medical and hospital bills that require two jobs to be paid, I'll never have time.

"I'm so happy for you, baby." A pool of tears gathers in her eyes, but she shakes them away with a chuckle.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you."

"Oh, don't be silly. For sure, you were too occupied with work." She playfully nudges my arm. "So, who is this young man who's captured my daughter's heart?"

Oh no. I knew this would happen. She's already getting her hopes up. Think of something, Elena. Think of something fast.

"He's—"

A knock on the door interrupts our conversation. Oh no. Too late.

Mom opens the door while I stay on my spot, unsure between fight or flight.

"Oh, sorry. You must be Elena's mother," the voice on the other side of the door says.

"Yes."

"I bought you these. I heard you love red roses." I see my mom take the bouquet of flowers and rest it on her arm.