[ 14 ] Unfinished Business

➴   ➵   ➴    ➵    ➴    ➵

• C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N  •

If I had two words to describe the situation between us: extremely uncomfortable comes to mind.

And the explicit song playing in the background is not helping the case either.

Gazing outside the window, I feel like my train of thoughts are running a thousand miles per minute. I can't even find the strength to avert my gaze towards something else or rather; someone else.

While a part of me is grateful for his kind gesture of offering to give me a ride home, another part of me can't help but act vigilant towards him.

My mind still hasn't wrapped around the fact that he offered to drop me home. Could this be another one of his sick games?

Heaving a doleful sign, I rub my temples as I find myself to be caught up in another vulnerable position.

"Everything okay?" Dean breaks the silence and asks.

Like he cares.

Still not choosing to pull my glance away from the window, I don't bother to respond.

"You won't even look at me?"

Surprised by his question, I tilt my head to the left; glancing towards Dean. A few seconds later, I redirect my gaze back to the window.

"What difference does it make?" I inquire in a soft spoken voice.

He doesn't say anything which only adds more fuel to the unwanted tension. Before I can observe the drips of rain in peace, the music of the radio increases drastically which causes me to scowl in his direction.

"Can you please reduce the volume?"

With one hand on the steering wheel, Dean seems to find amusement in my kvetching.

"I knew this was the only way to get your attention." he says with a chuckle.

My insides clutch with vexation, as I outstretch my hand to the radio in the pursuance of removing the volume.

Almost immediately, Dean reaches down to maximize the sound before some Travis Scott track starts to play in the background.

Fuming, I'm pretty sure I want to yell and chew him out at this point. Did I miss something or did he start attending his kindergarten classes again?

What is he-

Some four year old kid?

"You're impossible."

"And you should know better then to ignore me." he proclaims and just when I think he's about to drop the topic he then goes to say. "Why are you suddenly so quiet?"

I glower in his direction. "What is this, an interrogation in some detective movie? Why don't you just stick to driving instead of questioning me every two seconds." And just to piss him off, I reach down to fiddle with the radio dial before some pop music starts blasting through the speakers behind me.

For a moment, Dean seems frustrated as his nostrils start flaring. "I forgot how bitchy you can be."

"Congratulations you just discovered one of my most obvious traits, you need a medal for that?" I retort sarcastically without bothering to look in his direction.

From the corner of my eyes, I can see him shoot me a glare. "You're impossible."

"Yeah, well so are you." I yell over the loud music. We then stare at each other and I sort of loose myself in his gaze before tearing my eyes from his.