Chapter 4

That night, I went out on my balcony. I looked up at the stars and whispered a silent prayer.

"Why can't he just realize how I feel and feel the same way? Why must I always fall for the one guy who could never feel the same way? Why am I so invisible? Can't I just be seen for once in my life? Why can't my story be like a once upon a time?"

With that I turned around, walked back into my room and prepared myself for tomorrow. If only I had known, that there was absolutely no way to prepare myself for what was to come.

That morning had been just like every morning before that. I headed to library and waited for Grey to show up. We decided that we would read the book this morning and whenever no else was in the library, that way we wouldn't distract others. When he had shown up, I walked inside and sat down on my comfortable chair behind the desk. Grey went to grab a chair from his office and returned shortly after. He looked at me and nodded telling me to begin. I turned toward the book, opened the cover, and uttered the first four words. From there, there was no turning back.

"Once upon a time, in a kingdom far from this land, a princess sat cordially beside her guard reading a story to him, just as they had everyday since they had met. The guard listened carefully as the princess's words captured him. He had began to drift off to the world she was describing, taking the princess into his dreams. He looked at her, with her soft brown hair and striking blue eyes. He had always loved the way she could escape into a book in mere seconds as she read. He had secretly loved her as long as he could remember. Sadly, he had become a knight to the king and could never be allowed her hand. He knew she had no feeling returned to him, except friendship, but if he had that his whole life, he knew he'd be okay.

He envisioned everything around him as she told him a captivating story and a young girl and boy who had grew up together and fell in love. He could see the bright red apples from the tree they climbed upon. He could feel the breeze the boy described as he realizes his friend's beauty. He could hear the laughter that pulled the children together. He could see the girl as he remembered the way the princess had looked at around the children's age. He once again felt her hand as she pulled him along to yet another adventure, bound to get them in trouble. The princess began to describe a meadow the children had gone to read. He envisioned the green grass and saw the flowers as the boy reached down and picked one and put it in the girls hair. He could feel the warmth of the boys cheeks as they grew to a crimson red.

The princess stopped talking and looked at her guard and smiled as if remembering a sweet memory. The guard reached down and plucked a flower from its root. He tucked a sweet pink flower behind her ears and let her hair slip through his finger tips, soon dropping his hand to his side yet again."

I closed the book, hearing the ringing from the bell above the library door. I looked over at Grey who was watching me intently. He shook his head as if to regain his consciousness. He then looked at me again, this time with confusion. I returned his look.

"Shae, where did you get that flower?" I reached up and touched the top of my ear and grabbed whatever had laid upon it. I brought it down in front of my face. My breath hitched in my throat as I looked down and saw something quite scary. A freshly picked pink rose.