Chapter 9

I ran out of the house into the street and followed my sprinting little brother to something that horrified me. I looked around to see the streets covered in glass and metal, people crowded around, with sirens and flashing lights. I could feel myself slipping into a different world. I pushed through the ring of bodies and what I saw caused me to scream, lying there on the ground in a pool of her own blood was my best friend in the whole world. Laying there was Chloe.

I ran over to her and fell to the ground in tears. I looked and searched for the paramedics. "Help! Someone please! Help her! Please!" As I was yelling a woman in a medic uniform came running over and pulled me from her while some other doctors ran over to Chloe and started looking her over.

I watched in horror as they checked her pulse and then began compressions. I struggled against the woman's grip. I pulled and pulled and had finally got free. I went rushing towards my best friend's limp body. I was almost there when arms wrapped around my waist and picked me off the ground and spun me around. The person connected to the arms started to walk off while I wiggled against their grip.

"Shae! Stop! It's me! It's me Grey. Stop! I have got you." Once I heard his voice, I instantly calmed down and turned around in his arms. I turned my head into his chest and cried. There was nothing else that I could do I just cried. I felt my legs start to give out and began to slowly slip down. Grey leaned over and picked me up bridal style and began walking back to my house. I turned and leaned my head against his chest. He whispered soothing words into my ear. I slowly began to calm down enough to not be completely incapable to operate.

Grey took me up my stairs and led me right into my room. He put down softly on my bed and began to walk away. Before I could realize what I had done I reached up and grabbed a hold of his wrist. "Grey. Please," I said so quietly it was hardly audible, "don't leave me alone. Please." His lips tugged at the corners, leaving him looking at me with a smile that seemed to take away my pain. He walked to the side of my bed, leaned down, and kissed my forehead.

"I will be right back. I promise you. Just stay here and don't do anything stupid." He stood up and walked out my door. I listened to his footstep cascade down the stairs in the silent house and felt something break inside me. I let out a silent whimper and closed my eyes. I knew that he would be back, but for some reason there was more to it than just walking away. He had abandoned me, at the worst time. I could feel the hot tears stream down my cheeks and at that moment I didn't care. I just let them fall.

I laid there, eyes closed, tears streaming down my face, and fell asleep. What hurt the most from it, what killed me slowly from the inside, is that he saw me broken and just left me by myself. He already knew I was broken, yet he still chose to shatter me into a thousand pieces.