two

9-0. Cubs won the game. In the dugout, Javy told me to start getting used to that feeling because it's going to happen a lot. And I think he's right.

"Nice job, guys," I announce to the team as I'm walking into the clubhouse.

"Thank you, Sunshine!" Anthony calls out to me.

"I really wish you would stop calling me that," I tell him and he laughs.

"You know you love me," he jokes and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, okay. Whatever you say," I reply and go over to talk to Kyle and Jason.

"Hi, Mallory," Kyle says and I smile.

"Are you going out for drinks with us tonight? Just to celebrate the start of the season, I guess," Jason asks and I shrug.

"I don't know. Is there a reason for me to be there?" I actually would enjoy going, but my friends say that I have the worst state of mind when I get drunk and it doesn't take much to get me drunk. Why would I go and embarrass myself?

"Mallory, you should go. You're fun to be around," Kyle tells me and I shake my head.

"I'm not going to ruin your fun."

"But you won't! Most of us want you there," Jason insists and I sigh.

"Fine. I'll go. I'll just stop by the hotel and change. I guess Anthony can text me where to go," I tell them, giving up on arguing any further, and walk away.

***

I can't believe I agreed to go. I could be watching Netflix in my hotel room right now.
I walk into a bar that's some place in Anaheim that I probably won't even remember the name of after we leave and see the team scattered throughout the place. I spot Anthony, Kyle, and Kris sitting at a table and I go over and join them.
"Look who decided to show up!" Anthony says as I'm approaching them and I roll my eyes.

"Do you want something to drink?" Jason asks me and I shake my head.

"No, thanks, I'm-" I start to say but Anthony cuts me off. 

"Mallory, I'll go get you something," Anthony ignores my comment and gets up from the table. Kyle gets up a few seconds later to get himself something and I'm sitting alone with Kris. Fan-fucking-tastic.

I look down at my hands in my lap while Kris's gaze is practically burning into my soul, making this ten times more awkward and uncomfortable them it already is. I eventually decide on breaking the silence and saying, "Nice job tonight..." I keep my eyes fixated on my hands while saying that.

"Thanks," Kris mumbles out and it goes back to being awkward like it was a minute ago.

Anthony and Kyle come back to the table after what feels like an eternity. Anthony slides both Kris and I a bottle of beer each, and even though I didn't want one anyway, I still take a swig out of the bottle. Kris finishes off his bottle before I do, so he ends up going to get another one, but he goes and sits at a separate table with Jason and Dexter instead of returning to ours. Is he doing this to avoid me?

"Guys," I start to say, "I'm pretty sure Kris hates me," I announce and Anthony shoots Kyle a look.

"What? Of course not! He thinks your a delight..." Anthony's voice trails off and I give Kyle a questioning look. He just shrugs.

"Why would he hate you?"

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's because he's a dick. But who knows?

"He just gives me a weird vibe, I guess. He acts like he hates me," I tell them and Anthony turns his head, looks at Kris, and back at me.