seven

As usual, I went for my run the next morning, trying to clear my mind from what happened last night. My run thankfully had no interruptions today, except for when someone lost a hold of their dog and the dog ran up to me. Not that I'm complaining about the dog.

I took a shower once I made it back to my apartment before throwing on one of my Notre Dame hoodies and a pair of jeans. I walk into my kitchen to make a bowl of cereal and I go sit on my couch, turning on the TV to a rerun of The Office. After two episodes, my doorbell rang and it was Lauren. Why does everyone show up at my door unannounced?

Lauren goes ahead and lets herself in as soon as I open up the door. She walks into my kitchen and opens up my fridge.

"Just checking in on you. Your night was kind of shitty," she says, her eyes still scanning my fridge.

"Lauren, I'm fine," I assure her and she grabs a cup of yogurt from my fridge and grabs a spoon.

"I'm just making sure. Anthony and Jason scared the hell out of that guy, by the way," she informs me and I roll my eyes.

"Of course they did." I follow Lauren into my living room and she sits down on my couch, propping her feet up on the coffee table.

"Just be glad Kris saw that happen. Because no one else was paying attention," she says while eating her yogurt.

"Yeah, but he also lied to me." Lauren shoots me a glare.

"You seriously cannot be so pissed about that! Mallory, someone tried to fucking drug you. Kris might have lied about it at first, but was that really the worst thing that happened to you last night?" She rants and I groan.

"Lauren, you know how much I hate lying."

"Yes, I do. But Mallory, if he wasn't paying attention then you would have been drugged, and who knows what would have happened to you? Yes, he lied to keep you from killing him. But he did it for a good reason. You're always looking at the bad instead of focusing on the good in things."

I sigh. Maybe she's right. Over the years, I've noticed that a lot of people's favorite hobby is lying to me, all starting with my dad ("Oh, I'll be home later, sweetie.") But Kris just wanted to help me and I was a bitch.

That conversation ended at that and she stayed over for a little bit before she had to go and meet someone for lunch. After she leaves, I grab my phone and text Kris.

me: im sorry i didn't tell you this last night but thank you for making sure nothing happened. it means a lot to me

He texts back almost instantly.

kris: don't thank me. i don't like you but that doesn't mean i want you getting hurt

kris: see ya tonight, sunshine

***
The Cubs won again that night. I'm not even surprised anymore when they win. It's more of a surprise when they lose, yet just a few years ago, it was the other way around. Crazy how things can change.

I leave Wrigley without talking to anybody. I normally don't leave without saying anything to Anthony and vice versa, but he looked busy so I just didn't even bother trying. 

I climb into my car and hear my phone vibrate through my purse and Lauren sent me a text.

Lauren: can you go and get me some frozen yogurt