Chapter 18 (What work?)

Kaylyn woke up the following morning, almost springing from the bed, when she saw what...or rather, who was beside her. She had to stifle the gasp that formed in the back of her throat because she was surprised to see Sapphire laying there.

A slow smile split her face when she got a hold of herself and stared at the sleeping baby girl. Both her small hands were beneath her head and an innocent face rested above with her dark hair. Kaylyn smiled and slowly eased herself from the bed. She yawned and rubbed the sleep from her eyes, after which she glanced towards the small clock on the side table.

It was 6:30am.

She sat up on the bed and stared blankly ahead, her thoughts taking her back to the conversation she had with her father. She stiffened instantly, her throat burning at the memory.

"Hey, are you OK now?" she heard Sapphire's voice from behind and she couldn't resist smiling.

"I am," she said, turning towards her, with a convincing smile on her face.

Sapphire returned a grin. "Are you angry at me for sleeping with you?" she asked in a saddened tone, her voice groggy from sleep.

Kaylyn gently placed a hand on her cheek, caressing gently. "Not at all. I think the fact that an angel slept beside me made me sleep better," she reassured and Sapphire smiled sweetly. "You can go back to sleep if you're not ready to get up, she continued after seeing her droopy eyes.

"Where are you going?" she yawned.

"Work," Kaylyn told her, pulling the covers over Sapphire's chest.

"Oh," was all she could manage to say before sleep consumed her once again.

Kaylyn smiled, watching as Sapphire's eyes fluttered. It was evident that she didn't want to succumb to the will of her body, but she couldn't do much to fight it.

Kaylyn was just about to head out of the room, when her door burst open, frightening her. She gasped, staring at Matthew who stood there with wide eyes and a groggy expression on his face.

"Sapphire's not in her room. I d-dont..." he trailed off, raking his fingers through his hair. "I left her in there last night," he exclaimed in hysteria, and it was pretty clear to see that his concern for his daughter was threatening to overwhelm him.

Kaylyn also noticed that one small fact and she smiled, realizing that the very tough and aristocratic Matthew Mayhew had a weak spot. She stepped aside and pointed towards her bed, where Sapphire laid beneath the covers in a cuddly ball of innocence.

Kaylyn glanced from Sapphire and levelled her gaze at Matthew. She watched the relief that overcame him, softening his features and taking away the lines of tension from his face. She watched the bobbing of his Adam's apple as he swallowed and the love that swam in his eyes as he glanced at his sleeping daughter.

He turned to Kaylyn so quickly that she didn't get the chance to cast her gaze from him, and so he caught her staring at him with admiration. Kaylyn quickly cleared her throat and awkwardly looked away, fidgeting with her fingers.

"It seems like she really likes you. I told her she couldn't stay here last night so she must've snuck out of her room to come here," Matthew quickly said, not wanting to make the situation more awkward by dwelling in silence.

As soon as the words left his lips, Kaylyn wanted to squirm, her thoughts taking her back to the previous night. She immediately remembered crying on Matthew's shoulders In his arms! She was reminded of the way he comforted her, gently caressing her shoulders as he held her close as if holding onto life itself. She knew she must've been really vulnerable at the time, because she would never, in her right mind, willingly fall into Matthew's arms.

"Are you OK?" Matthew asked when he did not get a reply from her.

Kaylyn was suddenly brought back to the present. "Er- y-eah," the words tumbled from her lips in a clutter of uncertainty. He was directly in front of her, willing her nose to notice the muskiness of the cologne that had created a permanent scent on his robe; the robe that hung loosely around him with a loose knot at the waist. Her eyes slowly travelled upwards, resting on the dark curls, peeking out of the cottony material that made permanent residence on the broadness of his chest.

Kaylyn gulped almost audibly, taken aback by the way her body was responding to the sight of him. It seemed like her body had supposedly missed the feel of him, and last night had only reminded her of how it felt to be in his arms... How it felt to be held by him. She still remembered sweeping kisses along the plane like hardness of his chest and she still remembered him doing the same. Although her senses were slightly distorted at the time, she remembered the fine and very intimate details of their lovemaking which took place months ago.

She swallowed, suddenly feeling hot at the memory, but a voice in the back of her head suddenly reminded her that, it had been a mistake. That would never happen again and she was a fool for even remembering that it did; but how could she not remember, when there was a very permanent and evident proof of it?

"Why are you up so early by the way?" Matthew asked, curiosity knitting his brows.

Kaylyn sighed heavily. The very question that she'd hope he didn't ask was the one he did.

"I ah..." she trailed off, wondering how she'd break the news to him. "I'm going to work," she said the last few words quickly.

"What work?" Matthew asked, a brow shooting up with curiosity.

"At Felix Enterprises," she said now, moving towards the small closet.

Matthew snorted, following behind. "The hell you are!" He exclaimed firmly.

Kaylyn only rolled her eyes, pulling out a suit she had earlier planned on wearing.

"You are not working there," Matthew continued in a no-nonsense tone.

"Well, it isn't really your decision to make, is it?" she fired back.

"You have to be crazy if you think you'll work during pregnancy," Matthew spat.

"Call me stupid," she retorted flatly.

Matthew raked a hand through his hair in frustration. "Why are you so God damned stubborn?"

"Why are you so God damned bossy?" she bit back sharply.

He sighed. "OK, just listen to me please. You need the rest. You're not a hundred percent healthy, you can't risk anything," he reasoned, lowering his tone.

"I'm fine, and I won't sit in one place being dependent on you. I have to have something for myself and my child," she exclaimed in the same tone.

"I can give you both everything you need. There's no need to work. You can maybe work when the baby turns a toddler."

Kaylyn choked out a mirthless laugh. "Didn't you hear what I just said?" she asked in disbelief.

Matthew ignored her. "What can I do to change your mind," he sighed.

"Nothing," came her decision and Matthew pinched his nose, knowing that he would have to try something apart from talking Kaylyn out of the absurd decision.

___________________________________