Chapter 2

There was a deep sigh from the other side. Like the person at the other mind had already read her mind, seen the things that she wanted to tell.

Maybe it was right, she thought, after all, he was a saint and she was the sinner.

He should know it all!

"What do you wish to confess, my child? Fear not, for you are in the presence of the Lord," the voice came as soothing honey. But Annette knew these kinds of voices.

The ones that resonated smoothness, the ones that make a woman feel safe.

The Lord!

An awkward silence danced in the gap between them, filled in by the rhythmic beats of her racing heart. She wasn't sure how to start this, but she was sure of the ending.

When she heard the priest take in a deep breath reflecting slight impatience, she decided to start. Her thoughts raced and fell to a stop at the Yorkshire church, four years ago.

"I'm sorry, father, but I do not know how to begin," she breathed, "It's all too much, and I'm too weak" her voice started gaining strength as she spoke. "I mean, this is all too much. This is driving me insane. I have done something really grievous and I need a solution."

"And a solution will you be offered," came the voice.

Annette gave a rueful smile which the saint couldn't see.

But then, he had no idea about what was about to hit him.