Chapter 5

The priest cleared his throat and then steered her to continue.

"I think you do remember my Dad, Solomon Chase? He does timber business," she said, "I'm sure you will, because he had this extended talks with you about sending me off to a college in London.

I'm sure you'd remember how worried he was that I would become spoilt if I ever left this place? That I would lose my purity to strange men; without him watching every move of mine?"

The priest cleared his throat again, recollecting some old notes down the memory lane.

"Oh yes," the priest replied, "such a worried man he was, Solomon. Living a life of fear and agony."

"Yes, of course, he was," she agreed, "Moreover, his condition worsened after the arrest of my husband on the wedding day, with whom I didn't even spend a night with.

He reputed me as some sort of bad omen. I was like the ugly duckling, nothing but shame to everyone who laid their eyes on me. Except for one."

Somehow, the story made the priest more curiously attracted to her; she noticed it.

She could smell the men's sense of attraction; after all these years, her senses were heightened and reflexes were under her control.

Now, she knew men.

She was no longer the same person who had run away from Yorkshire four years ago.