Chapter 5: The First Adventure/A Dinner Party

The rest of the day I sat around, flipping through the file, ignoring comments from Barton & Co., and mentally preparing myself for the insanity that was to come.

But first?

To settle in, and to get used to Budapest.

But the next adventure?

Dinner party.

~~

"Why do we have to do this again?" I asked through the bathroom door.

"Because it's in the file! We have to go to this thing!"

"I'm not getting dressed." I called.

The door swung open and I almost fell on my face again.

"Yes you are." Barton said. "Get in there."

"No," I said, standing like a rock.

Barton pushed me in and locked the door from the outside.

"Get changed or I'm not letting you out."

"That means we are never going to leave."

"Fine." I heard a click. "Get dressed."

"What if I still say no?"

There was a pause as he thought of an appropriate punishment.

"I'll drag you to the party- naked."

"I'll get dressed," I said hastily. "But only because I don't want to go naked."

"I'm sure you don't," I could hear him roll his eye.

I twisted the handle and said "Done."

"Fast," He said.

"Very."

"Now put makeup on and let us get out of here."

"Hold on," I said. "I am absolutely not wearing clown clothes."

Barton laughed. A real laugh... that simply would not stop.

"There is nothing funny about me referring to makeup as clown clothes!" I exclaimed. "It's not funny, not at all- because that's what makeup is! Clothing for clowns!!"

I had a laughing man at my feet.

I kicked him.

"Oh, shut up and shape up."

"Sorry," He said, wiping tears from his eyes. "That may be the funniest thing I have ever heard."

"Shut up."

"Yeah, okay, whatever. You don't have to wear clown clothes-" He let out a snort. "But at least get shoes so we can get going."

In our jobs in Budapest, we were commonly known as 'the couple'. I hated this because (1) we where not a couple except (2) they didn't know that or (3) need to know that. It worked out for everyone- always excluding Barton and I.

But thanks to Fury, I was forced to keep my tap shut. I really loved him for that.

But the people we worked with where silly little mortals, and so I had to pretend I was something that I wasn't and this little girl is not one for crystal chandeliers, nice dresses (clown clothes) etc. Give me a gun or a mission any day.

A mission that does not involve crystal chandeliers, nice dresses, etc.

But being the loving director Fury was, I had to pretend I was in love with Barton, and the rest of the world had to believe it too.