Chapter 6: After Tea

I slept on the floor again.

Mainly because I refused to sleep on the bed, and Barton said that if I was sleeping on the floor, I was going to be sleeping on the floor in that room. He wanted to keep an eye on me, to make sure I didn't run off of ditch him in the middle of the night.

As if I could.

Neither Barton nor I had access to the ship, and we didn't even know its position, so it wasn't like I could even leave.

But I wanted to.

Another point- I barley knew my way around Budapest.

When I woke up, I untangled myself from the sheets that served as my covers and tiptoed my way to the kitchen a couple doors down.

I figured Barton owed me for going to talk to the extremely obnoxious Lieutenant, especially since I just wanted to leave, but I was better at cooking than he was, and I was tired of rolls for breakfast every single day.

So I made eggs.

There where four in the refrigerator for whatever reason, and I didn't want to know how old they where. I just cracked the into a diminutive pot, whisked them as hard as I could (sending little bits of egg at the walls), and hunted for salt and pepper. And I was done.

There was literally nothing else in the kitchen except for a few pots, pans, plates, and silverware. And there wasn't much of that, either.

The silverware consisted of five forks, three knives, and six spoons. The pot category was taken up by one large soup pot and a very very small little thing that couldn't fit more than a raspberry carton in it.

The single pan was the only clean thing I had found in the cabinets. The rest where incredibly dirty. Whomever had been the last tenant had no respect for those who came after them.

Unless they left in a hurry.

After washing a knife and fork, I ate the egg. It was disgusting, but better than rolls.

The shop opened at eight, and it was eight thirty now. I stood outside the door, letting the sun's rays warm up my back. It may have been summer in Budapest, but it sure as hell didn't feel like it. It was surprisingly chilly.

Ding.

The door unlocked and I finally walked in, prepared to browse through the grocery store. Instead, a girl who looked about fifteen stopped me and said "Do I know you?"

"Uh, no." I said, squirming out of her grip. She had incredibly sharp nails and her hand was clamped down on my arm, cutting off the circulation.

"Are you sure?" She asked. "I feel like I've seen you before."

"Okay," I smiled, finally pulling myself out of her iron fist. "I need to get groceries..." I nodded my head to the rest of the store.

"What?" She said. "Oh, sure!"

"ISOBEL!" A voice called from the back. "LEAVE THE COUSTOMERS ALONE!"

"Yes, mama!" The girl, Isobel, called back. She sprinted up the aisles and then into the backroom, where I could hear a woman (probably her mother) giving her a scolding.

I worked my way up and down through the shelves full of food and even a couple with recipe books. I grabbed everything I thought was necessary, from chocolate to meat to milk to eggs, etc.

When I got to the register, I stiffened up, noticing Isobel. She just smiled apologetically and wrote down all the things I bought.
"Enjoy your food!" She called after me as I walked out the door, beginning the five minute walk back to the 'house'.