c h a p t e r | t e n

THE DAY OF THE WINTERS BALL.

John wrote me love letters every day leading up to today. Each one expressing how excited he was for the ball he was spending with me. I haven't heard from Alexander since his meeting with my Uncle. And honestly Washington hasn't been around. He spends nights over at his office. He hasn't come home in forever. Not even to see me off for my ball.

As soon as I woke up I ran downstairs to start an early breakfast. I ran each step and turned to find Martha sitting at the table, a big breakfast already prepared around her. She must of heard me come down the stairs because her head turned to me.

"You're up finally!" she chuckled. "I thought you would sleep through the entire ball."

I laughed and sat down. "Thank you so much for the breakfast." I started digging in.

"Have you seen Washington lately?" I asked with a mouthful of food.

"Nope, he spends every night at his office." she sighed. "He forgets to eat. I have to bring him food sometimes."

"That does not sound good. Should I visit him?" I took another bite.

"No, his problems shouldn't ruin your day." Martha commented. "Who's taking you again?"

"John Laurens." I blushed.

"OoOOOoo you like him." She teased giggling afterward.

"Hence why I said yes to his offer to be his date for the ball." I said sarcastically.

Martha just rolled her eyes and we finished our breakfast with small talk and plans for my hair and makeup. John told me in a previous letter that he would pick me up at 4:30, and we could take a carriage. I insisted that we walk, so he doesn't have to pay for a carriage. But he wasn't having that. I let him have his way. He also told me that Alexander, Lafayette and Hercules would all be attending the ball. They just haven't had time to write.

I helped clean up the table and Martha and I went upstairs to pick out which dress I would wear. After about an hour of going through Martha's old dresses, and my new ones we settled on a light pink dress.

 After about an hour of going through Martha's old dresses, and my new ones we settled on a light pink dress

It was one of the news one's I had gotten while shopping with Martha. This isn't my first ball, I've been to dozens as a child. But it was my first with a date. Martha instructed me to put on my dress first. She helped me tighten the corset and put the dress over my head. It's way harder then it sounds.

After the dress was on me Martha started pulling out every cosmetic she owned, rambling on and on about how she hasn't put makeup on a pretty face in years. While she was talking and started putting powder on my face, I painted my nails a light pink to match my dress. I had just finished my first hand when I remembered.