Coffee

Winter is approaching. The clouds became thick and dark just as you entered the coffee shop across from your job. Today hasn't been such a great day. Neither had the last week nor the last month. It was like you were getting used to this routine.

"Hot chocolate for (y/n)!" The barista called as you spaced out to the busy Main Street outside the shops window. You took your drink and took a seat at the only empty table left. Everyone seemed to be preparing for the winter by flooding the coffee shops but you took your time to take a seat.

You placed your phone on the small table in front of you and set your drink next to it, expecting a text or call from your boyfriend. Why did you keep your hopes up for any sign of kindness from him if it had been constant rejection for almost months? Why were you even with him at this point?

Your tired eyes stared down at the dark phone screen as you sighed into the scarf that warmed your lips and cheeks. The line in the coffee shop continued to grow longer, noisier. The sound of people living their lives had started to become annoying to you when it used to be something you enjoyed to hear.

Your fingers gently wrapped around the scarf, pulling it down from your face and then reaching over for your drink. You took a sip, hoping for some kind of inner warmth. Warmth that hoped for better days even in the harsh winter.

"Im taking my time," you thought.

***

"Café au lait for Jimin!" The barista said loudly as she swiftly slid the hot drink out to the pick up line.

"That's mine," Jimin thought as he pulled his hands out his jacket pockets to pick his drink up. He took a hot sip that made him sigh with content before he began looking for a plug to charge his phone into.

He hummed to himself, finding every single plug in use...except for yours.

He saw you sitting there, but only noticed how you weren't using the plug by your table. It slightly annoyed him since you were taking incredibly slow sips. It'd take a while for you to leave and he needed to charge his phone now.

"Why is she sitting there if she isn't gonna- aishhh!" he said quietly to himself as he held his dead phone in one hand and his drink in the other.

***

You continued lost in thought, expecting snow in any steady second, minding your business before you heard the sound of a chair being dragged out its place and then seeing a guy randomly plop himself down across from you and setting his drink down as if you were expecting him. He was warmly dressed with a heavy black coat and a thick plaid red scarf around his neck.

You stared. Not in disbelief, but just in curiosity. Why here? Right across from you? "You aren't using the plug?" He asked with a warm yet deep and uncommonly attractive tone. It kind of surprised you but nothing more. You shook your head, giving him the same lame look he gave you. Disinterest between you was obvious. He pulled out a phone charger from his coats jacket and bent down to plug his phone, not once giving even the interest in you. Still, you continued to stare.

He scooted his chair in and set his charging phone on the table as he waited for it to turn on. You sunk into your scarf when he glanced up at you, noticing your stare. He looked down as he fixed his coat and sighed before pulling his scarf to cover his nose and leaving only his eyes exposed as he stared down. He crossed his arms, lamely waiting for the apple logo to show up on his screen.

You both minded your own business, not a word exchanged and not a glance after the first one. His phone vibrated twice and he scooped it up immediately. His eyes were glued to his phone as he began to send message after message, forgetting the world around him. You quietly sighed, annoyed at everything and everyone's selfish behavior.

You looked out the window again, your fingers lightly cupping your warm drink as the stranger across from you stared down into his screen. A pair of snowflakes touched the shops window. Winter is here.