Chapter 19: Seeds of Doubt

"Oh no," Jack said softly, already in motion as the words left his lips. He sprinted after Kelsey, weaving in and out of the people in front of the hotel and casino. "Kelsey! Kelsey!" The tall girl walking away from him didn't slow down, turn around, or acknowledge him in any way.

"Kelsey, please wait," Jack begged as he reached her. He put a hand on her shoulder.

She shook it off and kept walking.

"Please, let me explain," he continued, walking with her. "She fell in the casino. She had too much to drink, and she caught her heel and fell. She turned her heel or something, sprained her ankle." He walked around to her other side to avoid the bumper of a parked car. "She can hardly walk, her ankle's the size of a grapefruit, did you see it?" He reached out for her arm.

Finally, Kelsey stopped walking and whirled to face him. "This doesn't really cover the bigger question, though, does it, Jack?" At his blank look, she shook his hand off her arm impatiently. "What the fuck is she doing here? In Las Vegas? Last time I checked she wasn't part of the UCSM swim team."

She was actually standing still, waiting for him to answer, which Jack took as a marginally good sign. "She's kind of been an unofficial coach, the past few weeks," he explained. "She's been a real help with some of the girls. Since she's been working out with the team--"

"She's been working out with the team?" Kelsey gasped. "How long has that been going on?"

Jack swallowed.

"You know what? I don't want to know." She continued walking. Kelsey noticed that a few people had stopped to watch her and Jack, perhaps recognizing her, even in the darkness of the parking lot. They'd reached her car, anyway.

She unlocked it, and opened the door.

"Kels, wait," Jack said softly. "We need to talk."

"No, Jack, I need to leave, right now." Kelsey wiped away a tear, but not before Jack saw it. "I can't do this right now, not here. Please let go of me. Please."

Reluctantly, Jack took his hand from her elbow, where he'd placed it when she unlocked her car. He sighed as she got in. "You're in no shape to drive, sweetheart," he began, leaning down. He pulled back quickly when she shut the door, nearly taking his head off. "Will we talk at home, then?" he asked, peering earnestly through the window.

She stared straight ahead, not even acknowledging that she'd heard him.

"Kelsey!" He banged the hood of the car in frustration as she backed out of the space, making her jump.

She roared off into the cold Las Vegas night, leaving Jack standing helplessly, staring after her. After he could no longer see her car, he walked back to where his friends were waiting for him. Zach had helped Marian over to a bench, and the four of them looked at Jack expectantly, looking around for Kelsey as well.

"Oh, man, did she leave?" Jeff asked. "Shit."

"Jack, I'm so sorry," Marian, said.

Jack shook his head. "It's not your fault," he said. "She gets this way sometimes. She just wasn't expecting to see you with us, that's the main thing, I think." He ran his hand through his hair. "I just wish I knew she wasn't going to drive straight back, you know? I mean, she's so upset right now--" He broke off and looked at his friends.

"I'm going to head back to the hotel, you guys," he said. "I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be very good company anyway. Just go without me, okay?"

"You sure?" Zach asked. "Why don't we all go back, then?"