Chapter 34: Homecoming

Jack was persuaded to go back to swim practice and class the next day, and he was invited to Kelsey's that evening, where her mother had cooked dinner to celebrate the fact that she'd been discharged from the hospital. Jack arrived late in the afternoon, and realized that, even though he hadn't been there since that day in early January when he and his friends had moved his stuff, he still considered it home.

He walked to the door and rang the bell, being careful not to crush the flowers he'd brought. Kiki opened the door and leaned in for a hug, pulling Jack in and closing the door behind him.

"Kelsey, Jack's here, and look, he brought your favorite, tulips!" Kiki called out, taking the flowers.

Kelsey, who was reclining on the couch, sat up, smiling. She was wearing sweat pants and an old flannel shirt with a frayed collar, and had never looked more beautiful to Jack. She scooted over a little, so Jack sat down next to her, unable to keep the smile off his face.

Kelsey's parents came to sit with them. Kelsey's mother was wearing an apron that had apples and pigs all over it, and she had to have brought it with her, because Jack knew for a fact that Kelsey didn't own anything like it.

"Son," Bob began without preamble, "we owe you a heck of a large apology. We spoke to our daughter this afternoon, and she told us what really happened to her."

Jack turned to Kelsey. "You remember? Dr. Okafor wasn't sure you would--"

Kelsey nodded, looking at Jack regretfully.

"We are so very sorry for believing what we were told, and for treating you so badly," Annette said, leaning forward in her chair.

"No, please," Jack replied. He was obviously very uncomfortable. "You were so worried about Kelsey, and you'd never met me, you had no reason to doubt his story." He looked between Bob and Annette. "We've already covered this. You apologized, and I accepted your apology. We don't need to talk about it anymore."

"Thank you," Annette and Bob said simultaneously.

"And you should all know that what happened to me is not Phoenix's fault." Kelsey spoke up from her place next to Jack. She curled her legs underneath her, looking over at Kiki and including her in her remarks. "I mean, the lies he told about it, about Jack's involvement, that's all on him, and he's a complete and total dick--"

"Kelsey, language," her mother scolded.

"Sorry, mom, but he is," Kelsey said. "Anyway, he was with me, that's true, but the place was a mess, and neither he nor the man who offered me the drugs knew that it wasn't coke, I think. And I took it of my own free will, okay?" She looked at everyone in the room. "I'm not saying I'm going to do it again, or that I'm proud of it, but no one forced me, or tricked me." Her gaze settled on her parents. "Is that clear?"

Reluctantly, they nodded.

"So, what smells so good?" Jack asked.

"Beef stroganoff," Annette said with a smile, obviously grateful for the change of subject. "And I made chocolate pudding cake for dessert. They're Kelsey's favorites. She's so skinny. I know that one meal won't solve that, but I have to try, you know?"

Jack nodded agreement. "I tell her that all the time, Annette."

"I look better, though, don't I, since I started swimming?" Kelsey asked no one in particular. "I've actually gained about ten pounds since in the last year, I'll have you know."

"Yeah, you look good, really good," Jack said to her with a grin.

"Thanks," she replied, though it was probably audible only to his ears.