twenty-six

"i don't mind if we take our time"

***

We swam around for a while. And by 'we' I mean them. I just sat in my beach chair and watched them splash each other. I also couldn't help but be envious of their friendship. The circumstances allowed for me to be jealous of any semblance of a normal, carefree life.

After an hour, Devin leaves and I quickly head up the stairs to take a shower before Stephen comes in. I did not want him to join.

I also hate the greasy feeling of sunscreen.

I enter the bathroom and close the door. I bend down to turn on the water and I feel his presence behind me.

How the actual hell did he get up here so fast?

How did I not hear him open the door?

Why did my dumbass not lock the door?

I quickly stand up straight and try to move away but his hands find my hips and they hold me in place. He removes one had and brings it up to my neck, moving my hair to one side so my shoulder is exposed to him.

"I need a towel," and try to shove him off me but he doesn't budge.

"Come on now, you're wasting water," I try again.

Stephen says nothing. He only pulls me to him, so my back is flush against his chest. He brings his head down and I feel his lips trace a lace from my shoulder to the crook of my neck. A shiver runs through me and I feel his other hand move from my hip to the back of my neck.

I felt a slight tug on the my bathing top.

Instinctively, my hands fly to my chest, "No," I croak out.

My voice was so quiet. I have no idea how he heard me. I feel him pull away from me and I am left cold. He leaves the bathroom but quickly returns. Stephen shoves his hand in front of me, holding a towel.

I carefully take it from him, "Thanks?"

Stephen only lets out a sigh and leaves, closing the door behind him. I quickly turn around and lock it.

I continue getting undressed and shower. When I am finished, I change into a pair of gray sweatpants and one of Stephen's t-shirts.

The house is unsettlingly quiet. Normally, the tv is going off in the background or Stephen is banging on his computer. He wasn't even yelling into his phone about some dumb mafia crap. It's so silent. Where is Stephen?

Wait...

Who cares?

I look at the front door and try one more time. And once again, his hand stops me. I turn around, looking down at the floor. Stephen towers above me with a....sad? Confused?... look on his face. I can't really tell. I involuntarily let out a whimper.