twenty-nine

"you are artwork i could admire forever"

***

It's been five hours. Five hours and none of them have come down from the office. Something must be really wrong if they haven't taken a break yet. Normally they would've stopped by now to eat something or at least get some water.

This Nathan character must be a real threat.

I'm about to change the show on Netflix from Bob's Burgers to New Girl when I hear feet pounding down the stairs. I instantly sit up straight and pause what I'm watching to turn around.

Devin's blond hair flops around as he briskly walks into the kitchen and my stomach flutters at the sight of him. I timidly stand up and follow into the kitchen quietly.

"Um Devin," I say.

He spins around and looks at me. I can tell he is uneasy but he smiles anyway.

"Bella, what a wonderful surprise,"

I raise my eyebrows.

"What can I help you with?" he asks.

"Who's Nathan?"

Devin stops smiling and looks down. He furrows his eyebrows and lets out a sigh before responding half-heartedly.

"Uhh, he's..." Devin trails off. "I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you, honestly." He finishes.

I purse my lips.

"Please, I really want to know," I beg.

He stares at me for a few second before giving in.

"The deal with Nathan is complicated," Devin sighs and runs a hand through his hair, "Nathan is our, well,"

He looks down at the marble countertop, trying to gather his thoughts. I can tell he's unsure of how to describe and I'm about to tell him that it's okay and he doesn't actually have to explain if it's too hard, but his voice starts again.

"Okay, so you know how in Romeo and Juliet there are the Capulets and Montagues? Well Nathan is part of the Capulets and we are the Montagues," he explains.

That's not that complicated.

"So you guys are like rival gangs? Why didn't you just say that?" I ask.

"Well, I prefer the term' mafia' than 'gang' and 'rival mafia' just doesn't sound right to me," he says.

"Why is Nathan so bad?"

"He's the bad type of mafia,"

I raise my eyebrows at him. He knows all mafia is bad right?

"Okay, I'm not saying mafia is good but I am saying that God won't be as harsh on us as he will be on Nathan and his crew,"

"What do you mean?"

"Nathan does everything, he does human trafficking and drugs, and he robs and kills. Stephen refuses to permit any type of human trafficking under his authority. He doesn't stand for it and neither do I or Kyle."

No hUmAn trAfFicKiNg.

And yet he kidnapped me and here we all are.

"So why did Nathan threaten your operation?" I asked. If the two mafias dealt with different things I'm sure it would be pretty easy to avoid crossing paths. It might be idealistic in theory, but to me it made sense.

"Because what we are doing involves a lot of money,"

"Like a thousand dollars?"

"No."

"Then how much?"

"Thirty million dollars," Devin answers.

My mouth drops open and my eyes go wide. What the actual hell could cost thirty million dollars?

Kyle enters the kitchen with a scowl on his face and both Devin and I look at him as he speaks.

"Devin, what the actual fuck is taking you so long?" Kyle glares at Devin before his eyes land on me, "Oh I see why,"

"I was explaining things to her," Devin says, "She wanted to know about Nathan,"

Kyle grimaces as he faces him, "Does Stephen want her to know?"

Devin shrugs.

"Well, she deserves to know. The dumbass kidnapped her,"

Kyle faces me again with a look of disbelief, "He kidnapped you?"

I simply nod in response.

"You didn't know that?" Devin laughs.

"No, I thought he would have the decency to actually- you know what never mind. I have a headache," He pinches the bridge of his nose.

"Why are you guys shouting?" Stephen enters the room.

There is a deep crease between his brows, indicating that he has been stressed. That he is stressed.

He looks so tired and drained. In fact, they all do. They are dark bags under all their eyes and their faces are sickly pale.

"Why don't you guys take a break?" I suggest.

"What?" Stephen looks at me.

"Take a break. It's really nice outside today and the pool looks nice. You all look tired as well, so a break would be nice," I finish.

"I do have my suit," Devin adds.

"Why the fuck do you have your suit? Do you bring it with you everywhere?" Stephen asks.

"It doesn't matter," Devin growls, "The point is I have it and I want to use it,"

"A break doesn't sound bad," Kyle looks at me and smiles, "And I'd love to see Bella in a swimsuit,"

::

thank you three million on this story

i'm grateful for all your reads votes and comments. they really help keep me going.