Twenty Six

"You'll be fine," Parker promises me. He tucks a piece of my raven hair behind my ear, and smiles genuinely. I search his eyes for the trace of deceit, or maybe a hint of lust, but I only see affection embedded in them. I felt my heart sink at the thought of what I would do to him, if everything goes according to my plan. 

"Parker, what if I don't find anything? Zane just doesn't seem like that bad a guy. My gut-"

"Adrianna, the worst of us are those who are best at hiding their secrets well. Just focus on the mission, and try not to let your emotions in. Be logical," He leans down and kisses my forehead. I close my eyes and nod, then turn towards the gate check, watching people rush by. Everyone in a hurry to be somewhere else. If I could, I would stretch this moment with Parker out for forever. Would I see him again?

I look back at him, trying to memorise the planes of his face and the green of his eyes. How his hair falls perfectly into his eyes. If given the chance, I'm sure I would have fallen in love with Parker without hesitation. But my life is barely hanging on by a thread. At any moment it could be over with one pull of a trigger. My past is finally beginning to catch up, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to face it just yet. 

Surprising myself I fling my arm around him, pressing myself against him. I feel him tense beneath me, surprised by my sudden show of emotions. I wish I could tell him what the future holds, but this is for the best. The best for me, and the best for him. I pull away and fix my shirt, not meeting his gaze. 

"Keep your earpiece in. I might need you," I tell him. He nods. 

"I'll be right behind you in the next flight out." He promises. I smile and then turn towards the gate check with the single flight attendant. 

She looks up at me, and frowns slightly. I read the sign again, making sure this is the same number on my ticket. I glance around, frowning when I see that no one is here. I hold my ticket out to her as I stop in front of the desk. She takes it form me and glances it over. 

A bright smile pulls at her lips, and she tucks a strand of her deep auburn hair behind her ear. "Ms. Williams! We've been waiting for you. Mr. Casteel and Mr. Martell have already boarded. We'll be taking off in the next thirty minutes," She tells me, motioning for me to follow her. 

"Right," I mutter, risking a glance behind me. But Parker's already gone. 

Her heels clack as I follow her down the slopping steps. Soon we're outside, and a smaller jet stands a little ways away from the entrance. She gestures to the stairs leading up to the magnificent plane. 

"I can take your bag, miss," She tells me, smiling cheerily. I hand it to her and she hands it off to a man who I hadn't realised was standing behind her. He quickly makes his way up the steps, then disappears into the plane. "Have a nice flight!" 

"Thank you," I tell her, then gingerly walk up the stairs to the awkwardness awaiting me inside. 

It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the dim interior, but when they do, I'm met with sleek, spacious seats. There's eight seats, two tables, and a couch making up the back of the plane. A door in the back leads to what I assume is the washroom. Zane stands up upon my arrival, and grins at me. 

Behind me, the door to the jet is sealed shut, and I blink a few times, looking around again.

"Glad you could make it, Partner," Killian slurs form his position in one of the chairs with their back to me. I roll my eyes.

"Are you drunk?" I ask him, frowning at his unprofessional-ism. He shrugs. "Isn't it a little early?"

"It's bound to be evening somewhere out there," He grins up at me, his perfect teeth flashing. I huff.