57: red, white, & royal green

The energy on the exam day was contrasting to the memories of the boot camp. San Francisco felt like a story I read months ago. The camp seemed like a break from reality. Only when I came back to Santa Monica did I realize the weight of reality settled back in. My father's unending lectures about not responding to calls, Annabeth's trail of whines that I was going to the school's Christmas Eve party rather than spending it with family, and my mother's life-altering decision. 

Italy. She was given an offer to set up her restaurant's third franchise in Italy by this man who was touched by her taste and style of cooking. The offer was golden with zero investment in property and with a fully furnished restaurant staff being handed down to my mother. The only issue? She had to move to Italy at least for a year to set things up. 

I gave her mindful consideration a shove and made her take the offer. She looked thrilled at the new opportunity but I could make out a part of her looking guilty for feeling so happy. Because of me. And for that, I kept assuring her that she didn't have to bother because, for all I know, I'd be in Ravenford, opting for a dorm, and living my dream. 

Her issue, however, was the easiest to resolve. Annabeth took a while but she finally gave me a green signal to go attend the Christmas Eve party that Barcross Academy is hosting. Probably the party where I'd be crowned the Scholarship Student Of The Semester. The hardest was my father. After numerous attempts to solve his complaints, I deciphered he didn't want them solved at all. He just wanted to whine. So I let him. 

Entering the school gates after a weekend of hardcore studying and making flashcards, I was more than just confident about today's exam. My hand was as steady as a rock, and my face probably showed no signs of hesitation--but none of it mattered because this was Barcross Academy. I was a nobody here when I left. And I still am. 

Speaking of the golden boy, he and I decided on the airport check-out gates that we'd both give each other equal time to prepare for the exam. We'll be fair, for once, and let our wits decide who is more eligible and entitled to the scholarship. So the only text I received from him was 'I miss you' in the middle of the night at 03:41 am to which, I replied with a thumbs up. He sent three laughing emojis and that was it. 

The boot camp era was over. We were back in the reality era where Rainer Barcross continued to be the golden face of this school, the popular it-boy, the flag-bearer of the Anti-Park cult, and me, the underdog. At least that's how the rest of the school still saw us. I can't wait to click a Polaroid once we break the news of the century to them. 

"Hey Partner," Sadie bumps her shoulder to mine. "Guess our plan worked." It takes me a while to figure out what plan she's talking about. "We're top two!" 

"Right," I grin. "I can't believe we outsmarted the gang of bulldogs." 

"Sam's third, so I guess it's true when she said you don't leave your friends behind. You rise with them." Sadie stretches out her hand. I take it. "It was fun doing friendship with you. How about we make this deal permanent." 

I gasp. "Are you asking me out to be your friend? For life?" 

"Don't break my brain, Mellon." 

I laugh. "Alright. Maybe it isn't a bad idea." 

"Park?" A boy taps my shoulder. 

Sadie retrieves her hand. "I'll get going. Good luck with the exam. We'll meet after." 

Nodding to her, I turn to the boy behind me. 

A boy I should know by now. He's definitely one of Rainer's minions but because of his absence in the camp, I suddenly have no clue who this familiar-ish face is. It doesn't matter, I'll be out before the new year anyway. I'll make new Ravenford friends. With a clean slate.