This White Cat

My cat's been acting very weird lately. Sometimes I would find him staring at blank walls, his green eyes fixed on a certain spot. Some people might say this is nothing worrying, but that's not all. Every night my cat goes out the back door, and meows and hisses at nothing until midnight.

I was very annoyed at this crazy cat's weird behaviour. However it didn't stop there. That cat started attacking my niece, who was staying here for a fortnight, for no good reason. Usually the two get along very well, but now my niece could be sitting at the table drawing one moment, and get attacked the next.

The harder I try to stop this, the situation just seemed to get even more out of hand. Eventually I decided to lock the cat up in the kitchen whenever my niece was in the room. And the problem seemed to be solved.

The other day I was chatting to my sister on my phone. We hadn't talked in months, so there was a lot we said to each other. Near dinner time, my sister bid me goodbye and hung up the phone. But I managed to catch something she said to somebody on her end of the line. 

'Cats can see things we can't, you know, like demons or something.'

My blood froze as I heard my cat scrabbling frantically at then kitchen door, hissing and yowling. Turning around, I saw my niece standing at the sofa, holding a bloody knife.