2) Normalcy

PRESENT DAY

“For your homework, I want you to take some pictures this weekend using reflectors, diffusers, or filters like we learned in class today.  Play around with various qualities of light.  I suggest you take still photos rather than action sequences, as you can take time to adjust…”

            Hayley sighed and tuned out the rest of Mr. McCarthy’s instructions.  She busied herself by placing her camera around her neck and readjusting her ear buds.  After stuffing her remaining papers and binders inside her backpack, she slung it over one shoulder and waited impatiently for Mr. McCarthy to finish.

            “…due next Wednesday, so I suggest you get started this weekend before we begin our next project.”  Finally running out of instructions to give, the teacher clapped his hands and said, “Alright, see you next week.  Class is dismissed.”

            The room suddenly came alive with murmuring and shuffling of feet.  Hayley stood up and wound her way through the crowds of students out the door.  She automatically made a beeline for the staircase.  A song by Odesza, blasting through her buds, drowned out the loud chattering of students in the hall.  Hayley hadn’t made it two more steps before someone suddenly grabbed her arm.

            “What?” she asked, turning around.  She yanked out one of her ear buds, but the frown on her face immediately morphed into a slight smile when she saw who it was.  “Oh, Oliver.  Hey.”

            “Hayley! Uh, hi,” the tall, lanky boy stammered.  He readjusted his thin rectangular glasses.

            “Is there anything I can do for you?”

            “Nope.”  Oliver smiled goofily.  Realizing his mistake, he quickly added, “Actually, I mean, if you’re not busy this weekend, I was thinking we could work on the project.  You know, all those lighting techniques and stuff.  I have a hard time remembering certain things, but you—”

            “Oliver,” Hayley laughed, “you have a ninety-eight percent in our photography course.  That’s probably the highest grade out of all McCarthy’s classes.”  She chuckled again.  “You told me yourself, remember? I’m sure you can do the project on your own.  In fact, you’re probably better off without me.”

            “Oh.”  His face fell.  “Right.  Um, I guess you’re busy this weekend, then?”

            Hayley thought for a second.  “I’m visiting my Gran.”  She nodded and smiled, then readjusted her backpack.  She fingered the camera around her neck before taking a few steps backwards.  “Well, I’ll see you on Monday, Oliver.”

            “Okay.  I mean—yes.  Monday.”  He ducked his head and quickly vanished into the crowd, leaving Hayley with a lingering smile on her face.  She laughed quietly and headed downstairs to the exit.  It wasn’t that she disliked Oliver; he was just…annoying.  Hayley preferred to be alone while working on projects, while Oliver was an awkward geek looking for conversation—at least, that was how she saw him.  They exchanged an occasional word in class, but that was all.

            After glancing from side to side and crossing the street, Hayley entered the large parking structure outside of Florida International University.  She wasted no time in finding her car and zipping out on the main highway that would take her to her home in Palmetto Bay.  Though she wasn’t a fast driver, usually it only took her 20 minutes to make the 15-mile drive from FIU to her small apartment.

            Before long, the heavy traffic and large buildings of the University disappeared from Hayley’s rearview mirror.  She happily rolled down her window, rested one arm on the door, and let the cool Florida breeze blow her stress away.  It was officially the weekend—no more tests, no more classes, and no more worrying about college.  It was time to relax.

            With her camera still dangling around her neck, Hayley cranked up the radio and settled back in her seat.  She hummed along to the music the entire drive home.

Hayley grunted as she groped for her keys in her pocket.  “A-ha,” she declared, pulling out her set of keys.  She smiled with relief, unlocked her door, and stepped inside.

            Her apartment was small but cozy.  It was the perfect size for a college student like herself: one bedroom, one kitchen, one bathroom, and one dining/living room.  It was all squished into half the size of a normal house, but that didn’t bother Hayley.  It was far better than the alternative.

            After tossing her backpack onto the kitchen counter, Hayley poured herself a glass of lemonade—making sure to stir in extra sugar—and gently placed her camera on her bed.  As soon as her glass was emptied, she rinsed the cup in the sink and headed out the door.  She locked her apartment behind her, took one step to the right, and knocked on the adjacent door.

            “Hey, it’s me,” she called.

            A few seconds later, a gravelly voice replied, “Come on in, sweetie.”

            Hayley smiled and pushed the door open.  Immediately, the soft sound of jazz music and the smell of fresh fruit touched her senses.  “Hi Gran.  How’ve you been?”

            “Oh, fine.”  Gran’s gray-white hair was pulled back into its usual bun.  She was wearing her favorite pink-checkered apron as she sliced bananas and tossed the pieces into a large fruit salad.

            Hayley hungrily stepped up to the bowl and pinched a strawberry between two fingers.  “Do you mind?” she asked.

            “Go right ahead, sweetie.  I’m not eating all this fruit by myself.”  Gran chuckled and opened a can of mandarin oranges.

            Hayley waited patiently as Gran finished slicing the rest of the fruit and untied her apron.  “It’s delicious,” she declared.

            “I thought it would go perfect with an episode of The Twilight Zone,” Gran said with a smile.  “Can you help me carry this bowl to the living room?”

            Hayley quickly reached out and grabbed the large bowl of fruit salad.  “Go ahead and take a seat.  I got it.”  She followed the elderly woman to the couch, where they both plopped down and Hayley placed the fruit bowl on top of the coffee table.  In a few moments, Gran used her extra large remote to get TiVo working, and The Twilight Zone appeared on the small screen in front of them.

            “Have you thought about getting a hi-def TV?” Hayley asked carefully.

            “Nope,” Gran said without missing a beat.

            “But everyone has them.  You’ll be amazed when you see how clear these new TVs are.”

            Gran shushed her and took a mandarin orange from the bowl.  “The show’s starting.”

            Hayley rolled her eyes and smiled.  It was an ongoing battle between her and Gran to get her to buy a new TV.  The old, flickering square one she had used for the past four decades was inconsequential compared to the awesome hi-def televisions today.  Hayley knew it was only a matter of time before she—or the outdated TV—would force Gran to give in.

            But for now, it was okay.  With a slice of banana in one hand and Gran’s leathery fingers in the other, Hayley settled back into the old couch and watched as Rod Serling came onto the TV, a lighted cigarette between his lips.  She was grateful for life just the way it was.