Chapter 16

I feel so comfortable. I'm so warm, and it's like someone is gently rocking me. There's something warm cradling me and I can't help, but to snuggle into it. I wrap my arms around it and pull it closer. It smells so nice, like oranges and something spicy.
  Then I feel myself being lowered onto something soft. Something covers me. Whatever I'm laying on lowers and warmth wraps around me again. I cuddle up into the warmth and fall into a deep sleep.
  I feel light hitting my face. There's something heavy wrapped around my waist. Opening my eyes I see I'm in a familiar black bed again.
  Turning my head I see Apex cuddling up to me. His relaxed face is inches from mine and his arm is draped around me. I do have to admit he looks so innocent like this. With his eyes relaxedly shut and lips slightly parted I almost forget who he is. He's beautiful and I think I could watch the slow rise and fall of his chest forever.
  I look down at the arm around me again. The skin of his palm is rough and a little discolored. I don't know why I choose to do it, but something in me demands I pull his hand up towards my chest. Looking at it closer the scar looks shiny and tight. It's like his skin was pulled taut over his bones. I find myself tracing over the rougher patches.
  I find myself practically entranced by the way his skin feels under my fingertips that I don't notice his eyes open.
  "Goodmorning love", I startle at his voice. Dropping his hand in fright I meet his eyes. He looks so soft. He smiles at me and yawns. He leans up a bit on his elbow and I see how his hair is sticking up in all directions, and how his half closed eyes cause his lashes to brush his cheeks.
  How can such a violent man be like this? Looking at him now I can hardly believe this is the man who hurt me.
  "I don't expect you to say it back", he starts, " I love you though". I sigh at his words and close my eyes. I don't know how to deal with this. I flinch when feel something lightly touching my forehead. Opening my eyes again I see that he's tucking a few strands of my hair behind my ear. The way he's looking at me makes me feel warm.
  He brushes his finger from ear to my cheek. He just rests his hand there. I feel like there's a million fireworks going off against my cheek in the best possible way.
  He drops his head from his hand and leans forward to press his forehead against mine. I can feel his breath on my lips. Is he going to kiss me? Do I want him to?
  I sit up in bed to avoid thinking these things. Sitting with my knees over the side and my feet on the floor I turn from him. I can't look at him. Everytime I look at him it makes me want to pull him into my arms and never let go, and I hate it.
  I keep looking at him and thinking about playing with his hair. Or I think about pressing my lips to his scars. Even now I'm thinking about how his voice sounded when he woke up and told me he loved me in that groggy morning voice; I could listen to that everyday.
  He shifts to sit beside me. I look down at my feet to avoid looking at him.
  "I'm sorry I don't mean to rush you into all this", he says, "I know you need more time so I'll try to give you a little more space". He puts his hand on my thigh.
  "I'm not going to stop trying though", I look up at him to see him looking with more hope than I ever thought someone could hold. He stands and heads to his bathroom to brush his teeth.
  "I have an appointment this morning,  but I was hoping we could do lunch", he says when I hear water start running. I turn to see he's brushing his teeth.
  "What kind of appointment?" I ask. My voice sounds awful. My throat still isn't doing great, and I'm sure all of yesterday's excitement didn't help either.
  "Remember I told you about that therapist I've been seeing? Well he recommended I start going to this group therapy thing before I see him. Altogether it usually takes about four hours. It's worth it though".
  "Why are you doing all this right now?" I ask.
  "Because, I've decided that I need to get better", he says, "any way I'll make us some coffee". He gargles some mouthwash, smiles at me, and heads out the door. I wait a few minutes to collect myself.
  What happened last night? I was out in the middle of nowhere with a wolf and then I was here. How did I get here? Maybe it was all some stress induced hallucination. How else did I get back?
  I guess it doesn't really matter. I stand and head for the door. I hate this room anyway. Luckily I remember where the kitchen is. Down the hallway and stairs I find the room where we had our lovely chat last night.
  I have to admit there's something really charming about watching a 6'5" giant of a man making coffee. Watching him with his muscles shoulders hunched over a bit, it's cute. I really should stop thinking about how cute a giant abusive sociopath is.
  He turns to look over his shoulder and smiles and me. Straightening up he turns around to face me. How can he have such a warm, friendly smile. He has such wonderful dimples.
  "How do you take yours?", he asks me.
  "I'm sorry, what?", I say coming out of my reverie.
  "Your coffee", he turns and gets to mugs from a cabinet.
  "Oh sorry", I say, "black". He nods and pours the coffee into the mugs. He puts full cream and sugar into one. He hands me mine. Then he begins stirring his. His coffee is practically white. How can he drink something so sweet? How can anyone have what's basically a milkshake first thing in the morning?
  I take a sip of mine. Oh God I needed this. I haven't had coffee in forever. In the hospital they only had decaf for some reason. I'm unashamed to admit I have a bit of a caffeine addiction.
  "So I was thinking we could have lunch just the two of us, and then if your up for it I would like for you to have dinner with me and my family", he says.
  "How can you just ask me to meet your family like I'm your high school girlfriend or some shit?", I ask, "you've kidnapped me!". He sighs and stares down so as to not meet my gaze.
  "I know and I'm sorry, but I am working on it".