Chapter 28

We just finished our paperwork to checkout of the hospital, which at this point has become second nature.
Heading to the car I ask him, "before we go to your house can we swing by my apartment to grab some things?". He looks at me and sighs.
"I hate that place", he says. I snort at this.
"Do you think that I don't hate your house?", I ask him. He winces in response
We get to his car and he holds the door open for me before getting into his side. He starts the care and pulls out of the parking lot. Though he doesn't say anything I can tell by the direction he turns out that we're going to my place.
The ride there is uneventful. I stare out the window as he drives. He doesn't say anything and our only interactions are when he stops a bit suddenly and puts an arm in front of my chest or a hand on my knee.
We pull up to my apartment and get out. He opens the front door for me before stepping in himself.
"Hey you can't be here!", I turn to see one of my buildings guards shouting at Apex from behind his desk. Apex's eyes immediately start to shift colors. Instinctively I place a hand on his shoulder. He shifts his focus to me and begins to calm down.
"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave", says the guard. I can see the moment when Apex snaps.
"You will sit there and you will not tell me what to do", his voice holds so much authority that I find myself slowly sinking to the floor. He turns his attention back to me and his gaze turns apologetic.
"Oh sorry love", he says, "not you". I stand up straight again, but I'm still so in awe that I just standing there unmoving. He sighs and grabs my hand. He pulls me towards the stairs while I just follow behind him. It's not until we're outside my door that I find my voice.
"Why did you sound like that?", I whisper. He turns to me after unlocking the door and pulling me inside.
"It's just a thing that pack leaders can do", he says, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to use it with you around". I nod accepting his response.
"It's fine I don't mind", I tell him. He looks a bit sad at my words.
"They have a relaxing effect, you're still in a daze from it without an animalistic side to be offended", he tells me. I just nod again.
I leave him standing in the doorway while I wonder off to my room. I sit on the bed for a bit before remembering that I came here for clothes. I go through my closet and dresser for what I need. By the time I'm done packing I still feel light.
I walk out of my room to find Apex in the kitchen reading something. I come over to see three sheets of paper in front of him. He holds one crinkled in his fist while to others labeled "Hope" and "Yanis" sit in front of him.
In a strained voice he asks me, "who is Yanis?". He looks at me with eyes more prominently green from his red rimmed scleras.
"She's my sister", I tell him. He nods at this.
"Can you tell me about her?", he asks.
Thinking nothing of it I tell him, "well, she lives back in Scotland with my mom and stepdad. She's on her school's swim team and she's turning seventeen soon".
"Why didn't you tell me you had a family?", he asks.
"I ran away", I say, "after my dad died and my mom married my stepfather things kinda fell apart for me there. My new stepdad was verbally abusive to me and my mom was so wrapped up in the financial stability that he could provide, she didn't care". He stands and hugs me. With how tall he is my face is firmly planted in his chest. Its nice listening to his heart beat.
He bends down a bit and whispers in my hair, "I'm so sorry love". Why is he sorry? I pull back and look at him questioningly. A look passes over his face and he whispers a curse under his breath.
"I'm sorry", he says again, "I was so distracted by the note you wrote me that I forgot the state you were in". He runs a hand through his hair. Avoiding eye contact with me he grabs one of the notes and my bag of clothes. I follow him out the door and down the stairs. We get to the lobby where the guard sits quietly behind his desk.
Once outside Apex opens his car door for me again and heads around to his side. Once in the car he throws the bag in the back of the car. He looks at me and reminds me to buckle up. Instead of starting the car he turns to me.
He pauses for a second before saying, "I'm sorry Diana, I hadn't meant to take advantage of you like that. I realize that those were not things you were ready to tell me". He turns away from me again and tilts back his head with closed eyes.
"This is just like when we were in that goddamn elevator", he murmurs. I remember that.
"That's fine, I had been dreaming about kissing your scars before then anyways", I tell him absentmindedly. He seems to snap to attention at this.
"You were?", he asks.
"Yeah, your really handsome and I think your scars look good on you", I tell him. He smiles a bit at this.
"At least that wasn't quite as bad as I'd thought", he says to himself. He starts the car and pulls out of the parking lot.