Chapter 13

I watched helplessly as the man tapped his watch and a barcode scanner appeared.  He reached his hand out towards Deek.  "I'll take it all."

Deek arched an eyebrow.  "All of it?  I had other buyers."

The man smiled with a grin so fake, it clearly masked something truly evil.  He leaned in close to Deek and grabbed his shoulder in a gesture meant to be friendly, but instead created tension.  

"Deek," he said calmly while squeezing Deek's shoulder tighter, forcing his brow to furrow in discomfort.  A glint of fear became very evident in Deek's eyes.

"I always get what I want.  You have supplied me with a product that I have very much been wanting."  The man glanced at me and smirked hungrily before returning his attention to Deek, who almost seemed to tremble.  This man must have been dangerous.

"I want exclusive choice of all your products and I will pay top price.  BioCorp is very interested in using you as a supplier for some of our more...secretive  research.   Exotic organisms are not easy to get our hands on without the prying eyes of the Torian Empire and its galactic whistleblowers."

The man squeezed Deek's shoulder tighter and Deek gritted his teeth, trying to maintain his composure, but failing miserably.  

"I suppose it goes without saying how important your discretion is, Deek."

Deek seemed panicked as he nodded vigorously.  "O-of course, Dr. Alano.  Our dealings will never be revealed and I will supply whatever you need."

Dr. Alano grinned, releasing Deek and stepping back.  "I knew we would see eye to eye."

Deek rubbed his shoulder, looking relieved that the confrontation was over.

Dr. Alano once again tapped the barcode scanner on his watch.  "Your payment?" he prompted.

Deek nodded quickly and took out his card.  Alano scanned it quickly and flicked it back at Deek cooly.  "As always, it's been a pleasure doing business with you Deek.  Do make sure my human remained unharmed during transportation.  You wouldn't like to get on my bad side."

Deek's eyes widened in terror.  "N-no.  Absolutely not.  You have nothing to worry about!  I will ensure she is in perfect condition."  Dr. Alano's demeanor while calm, provoked an underlying fear.  It was evident in the tension that Deek eluded in his presence and it only caused me to grow more and more concerned.

"Good," Dr. Alano replied cooly.  "There is a long list of people who have disappointed me."  He shot Deek a dark, menacing glance.  "Don't become one of them."

Without even looking at either of us again, Alano turned his back to Deek and I, heading for the door.  "I do expect this merchandise on my carrier in no longer than 1 hour.  I'd advise you go find your beings and get to work."  With that he exited the door he came from while Deek stood there dumbfounded, letting his words sink in.

"One hour?" he whispered to himself urgently before tapping his ear and barking orders.  He must have realized it was time to rally his beings if he was going to meet the deadline.  

He was still yelling assertively as he ran through the doors, no doubt to prepare for loading, seeing as much of the merchandise was still on his own ship.

Now alone, I began to struggle in my confines and to my delight, I was able to move, albeit slowly.  It felt like I was trying to struggle against a powerful river current, trying with all my might to lift my arms.  They weakly rose and I tried to pound against the glass, but only the gentle thud of my hands pressing against it was heard. 

I sighed.  I was too weak to escape and I stared defeated at my hand pressed against the glass.   My mind flooded with thoughts of horror and anger and my inability to save myself.  Dread was setting in as I realized from this point on, whatever was waiting for me, would not bode well

Suddenly, a hand pressed against mine on the other side of the glass.  Shocked, my gaze drew upwards and was met by familiar silver eyes.

"Xan," I murmured happily as hope flooded through me.

He smiled.  "I will get you out of here."

I nodded weakly.

Xan removed his hand from the glass and a more serious tone covered his face.  

Before I could even ask him what was wrong, lights began flashing and an alarm began to sound.

Xan turned back to me and urgently pressed the button to open the glass.

"It seems we are not alone."

Before he finished the sentence, I could hear rushed footsteps...heading straight for us.