Mehndi Night

Lots of fast forwarding in the chapter but the wedding begins! oh and the swing in the chapter is picture on the side :)

When Ayaan’s family came over, I didn’t really know what to do so I just sat there. The parents went into another room so I showed his two sisters around and then helped my bhabhis in the kitchen with lunch.

Once lunch was done, our parents took us into the living room and Ayaan’s father stood to make the announcement I knew was coming. “In light of recent events, we’ve made our decision. The wedding will be at the end of this month and after that, you two will not remain here. Not until the trail is over and we are sure you’re safe. Till then, both of you will be extra careful and with someone at all times.”

“If you have anything to say, now is the time,” my dad adds. Ayaan looks to me out of the corner of his eye but I look anywhere besides him or the parents. Of course I had something to say! I didn’t want to get married! But Allah has reassured me that I will be okay. I just have to let the storm pass.

“It’s settled then. The wedding will happen on February 16th!” Ayaan’s mum chuckles giddily and hugs my mother. “Oh we have so much to do!”

The women start babbling about decorations, and food, and whatever else they needed to do.

I excuse myself and head to the basement where Ali playing on the Xbox with Kismat and Ayaan’s sister and cousin- Mannat and Haya- who had come over too. Mizan dragged Zayed and Omar with him to the office after lunch so the house was pretty empty. No one says anything, most likely already informed of the news, no doubt of Ali’s spying abilities.

“Congrats,” Kismat whispers when I steal the seat beside her. I give her a weak smile.

“Hey apee, let’s see if you still got it in you,” Ali challenges, popping in Just Dance.

“Oh girls, you’re in for a treat today,” I smirk, giving my future sister-in-laws a mischievous wink.

“She says this every time,” Ali rolls his eyes.

“And I win every time,” I remind him. He chooses Macarena, to which I start laughing immediately. This was going to be bad.

Kismat starts laughing so hard within seconds but I tune them all out to beat my little brother’s ass. By the chorus though, we’re all in fits.

“Oh my god, what is this!” Bhabhi groans, wiping the tears trailing down her cheeks.

“Saf, you’re winning!” Ali scowls, going even more intensely. I smile smugly, let him catch up a bit. There were four players in the song, so two were already loosing.

“AYE MACARENA!” Ali screams as he finishes second. I throw my hands up in the air in victory, nodding like a boss.

“Take notes ladies. A man can never win when he acts like a man,” I sneer at my brother. He shoves me back and sits back down on the sofa like a sore loser.

“Let me have a go with you Bhabhi,” Mannat leaps up. Her calling me Bhabhi throws me off. Bhabhi. Damn.

“Saf? My bhabhi calls out to me. I shake my head and give Manaat a nod before letting her choose a song.

She picks Me and my Broken Heart and I try my best to focus. It dawns on me that despite what Ayaan and I feel about this marriage, we still have responsibilities with it. I’m still going to be the sole daughter-in-law of a family, a sister to his siblings and cousins.

“Come on Bhabhi! Give it to her!” Haya giggle. I pick up my game, brushing my thoughts aside as always.

In the end, I win by three points. Haya high fives me as I hand her the remote and to play against Ali. I turn towards the mini fridge to grab water when I finally notice Ayaan standing against wall by the stairs