15|| Flattery and Fears

The rumbling of the road going by was rhythmic and constant, a soft lull that was unconsciously ignored. A mellow song with acoustic tunes was playing as a part of that background, soothing yet not memorable enough to have any interest to my dazed mind. But there was something else occupying my attention. Someone beautiful, confident, cute and was currently sitting in the passenger seat right by my side.

My eyes gravitated towards her as if the action was uncontrollable, only to have them pulled back to focus ahead with the thought of safety in mind. But from time to time, in my periphery, I noticed I wasn't the only one sneaking glances. Every time I looked, my eyes would focus on something different: her hazel eyes, her luscious hair, her kissable pink lips. There was always something new to discover and admire.

After meeting her gaze for the fourth time, I decided to say something. "You know, it's not fair."

"What's not fair?"

The fact that I can't properly admire you while driving, I thought to myself. Glad I didn't say that out loud...

"I wish this day could last longer," I muttered wistfully.

"Well, there's gonna be more days like these," she assured. I glanced her way to see a soft expression take over, her eyes holding a promise within.

We soon arrived at her house and I got out of the car with her to walk her to her door. As I rounded the car, I saw her standing by waiting for me, her hands warmly tucked into her coat pockets. "What a gentlewoman," she remarked with a playful smirk.

I didn't respond as a blush coloured my cheeks, something I could've easily blamed on the cold, but she would've seen through it anyway.

We started our walk up the path, our sleeves brushing against each other. Stopping in front of the door, I noticed that the living room lights were still on, and for a second I thought I saw the silhouette of a person by the window, but it was gone the next.

Paying it no mind, I turned to Leah with a smile, feeling genuinely happy about tonight. "Thank you for deciding to come hang with us. I had a really great time with you."

A grin split her features then, one filled with satisfaction and contentment. "I'm glad I decided to come. I mean, it wasn't that hard of a choice to make," she said, canting her head slightly as her playful gaze flickered down to my lips before resting on mine.

My feet shuffled nervously at the gesture, but it was overpowered by a feeling of want that coursed through my being. I took a small, hesitant, almost imperceptible step forward. "Well, I guess I should head off. Goodnight, then."

She followed suit with a step slightly bigger than mine, our movements slowly closing the distance previously left between us. "Hmm, before you go, I just wanna do one more thing..."

Her hands reached to cup my jaws, and just like that, she pulled me in for a kiss.

It held none of the softness from before, replaced by a firmness that bordered on urgent. Our lips moved in sync as our hungry mouths satisfied a need that was not fulfilled the first time. My arms went to pull her impossibly closer by the waist, and I felt one of her hands grab a handful of my brunette waves as a way to assist.

We only pulled apart when our bodies required us to fill it with air. Our short breaths were coming in and out only centimetres from each other, grins on both of our faces.

"You know," Leah breathed out, "you have the most gorgeous eyes I've ever seen," she mumbled, staring intently into my blue orbs as she let her arms rest on my shoulders.

"You should look at yourself in the mirror," I quipped, but I honestly meant it. Those warm hazel eyes could make anyone fawn over her instantly.

She giggled lightly, the feeling of flattery colouring her cheeks a light pink. As she went to say something, we heard the sound of a lock clicking open. We sprang apart just as the front door to her house opened.