Chapter 61

My parents left, and I was home. I hadn't heard from jake, but knowing him he was really drunk or really high somewhere. That's what he did when he was upset.

I was in my bed alone and I texted him a few times. I wanted to talk to him in person. I was 100% certain I wanted to end things with him, but I wanted to talk to him in person. I'd always love him no matter what, I just couldn't keep doing it anymore. We were so toxic and I needed to be happy again.

My doorbell rang throughout my house as I was laying in bed. It was literally 4am. I knew it was him, and I knew when I'd open my front door he'd be fucked up.

"Jake." I sighed as he stumbled towards me and I helped him up. I led him to the couch and he looked up at me with his eyes barely open.

"I left you a letter." He said.

"What?" I asked.

"I took a lot of pills, I'm drunk, and I'm high. I left you and our baby a note-" he paused and he tossed a folded up paper on the coffee table.

"You have our baby. Let our baby change the world. Don't let it turn out like me, do you understand me? If we have a boy make sure he respects women and he doesn't treat them the way I treated you and so many others. You never deserved the way I treated you, and I can't give you what you deserve." He said and my eyes softened.

"Why are you talking like that? What pills did you take? What are you high on?" I asked and he zoned out.

"Jake." I said and he didn't say anything. He just sat on the couch with a blank expression and his eyes barely open.

"What are you on?!" I asked and I cupped his cheek. I immediately called brad when I realized he literally was completely unaware and I told him what was going on. Luckily he was on duty so he was able to have more officers on the way too.

"Jake." I sighed and he looked up at me.

"I love you." He said softly.

"I love you, too. What are you on?" I asked and he shook his head.

"I can't tell you." He said.

"You can tell me anything. I need to know to make sure you're okay." I said.

"I'm not okay and I don't want to be okay. I'm tired of this shit." He said.

"Brad is on his way." I said.

"Fuck, brad." He slurred and I kissed him. I didn't know why I did, but I was scared it would have been my last time feeling his lips on mine. He barely kissed me back, not because he didn't want to but because he could barely move.

"I love you. I always will." I said as I cried.

"I love you too." He said.

"Please don't do this." I cried. He looked so out of it. I knew what was happening.

"Tell our baby how much I loved him or her. I wrote this, but for boy names I was thinking Andrew or Grayson. For girl names I was thinking Gabriella, or Olivia. Gabs or livy for short. I hope it's a girl. I hope she's so much like you." He said and I cried. I just kept crying. My front door opened and Brad ran in with a few other cops and EMTs. I was so scared. They literally ran him into the ambulance and I followed behind them to the hospital. I was literally racing behind them. I wanted Jake to be okay. As much as I knew our relationship was done, I loved him and needed him.

* * *

The last time I got to kiss Jake was while he was in a hospital bed. He was awake, but barely and he weakly kissed me one last time before sleeping forever. The doctors told me they tried everything they could and that he was brought back but the amount of drugs he took and the amount of alcohol in his blood was too much and that he wasn't coming out of it. I cried for hours next to him and I kept begging him to wake up. It took five nurses to get me to leave his side and I screamed for them to let him stay with me for at least another minute. Every good memory I had with him kept replaying in my head. The day it snowed and we went outside and played like kids, the day he confessed his love for me after we kept telling ourselves we weren't serious, the day he threw me in the pool and he asked me to be his girlfriend. How he reacted when I told him I was pregnant. I was heartbroken. Devastated. Brad met me outside in the waiting room and he held me after I got out. I cried into his chest and he rubbed my back.