The new job.

Amanda walked down the corridor and knocked at the editors door.

"Sir?"

"Step inside Amanda." He motioned her to sit down in the leather chair in front of his mahogany desk.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes." He mumbled as he eyed through a text on his tablet. "Your latest article... what's the purpose of it?"

"Well, there's a lot of hate in our city right now. I just wanted people to really think about how our future might be without the androids."

"Lonely?"

"Indeed, who would take care of our elderly? And our children? Humans don't do things like that anymore, they scream out the anger in protests. But are thy willing to go back to the mines, or the heavy labour in the docks?"

"Interesting point of view."

"You think?"

"Yes, I'll send it to the publisher."

"Thank you sir!" She exclaimed happily.

"Keep it up."

She nodded and rushed out of the office, she grabbed her purse from her desk and stood restless waiting for the elevator to arrive.
She wished she was home already, she had so much good news to tell him!
As she stepped out of the elevator she walked up to the receptionist Android and asked her to arrange a cab for her.

"It will arrive in two minutes Miss Manfred." She confirmed and Amanda couldn't help reflecting on how different this android was compared to Markus. So robotic and monotone.

She let the sun shine bright on her face as she stepped outside on the crowded street. People and androids walking in every directions going about their daily routines.
A family walked passed her, mother and daughter hand in hand, smiling, talking and enjoying themselves. Behind them walked their android carrying all their shopping bags, emotionless.

Something about them made her feel sad. She turned her head and watched a man yell at his android for standing in his way. She debated with herself wether to intervene or not, but reminded herself of Markus words. Maybe humanity isn't ready for her thinking just yet.

Across the street a couple where viewing the latest prototypes from Cyberlife and the commercial voice echoed out on the streets.
"...is the latest and most improved household android. With new software installed you may easily trust it with all the tasks you find boring or don't have time for. Let it walk your dog, cook your di-..."

The taxi arrived and she stepped inside with a relived sigh. She was anxious to get home and pushed all the negative feelings away, that'd washed over her on the street.
She watched the city pass by and her shoulders dropped and her body relaxed as the car entered the familiar surroundings of the suburbs.
She was almost home.

The car stopped and she rushed out of it, entering her home and was about to walk into the living room when she hears her fathers familiar voice.

"Walk down these crowded streets with a smile on your face. Be thankful you get to walk so close to both humans and androids.
It's a privilege.
Don't let the androids be alien to you, open your eyes and accept the world around you.
And as you get older and perhaps a little less open than you are now, don't assume that the old ways always and everywhere means better.
It may only mean lonelier.
The protestors are trying to convince you that hell is accepting differences. But we've done it before, and we'll do it again.
Don't believe them."

Amanda stood unnoticed in the doorway and listened to her father read her article out loud for Markus. Her heart was beating hard in her chest and she wanted to see his reaction to it.

Carl peered at his android "What do you think?"

"Powerful words."

"Indeed it is."

She watched the Android hesitate before he opens his mouth again "Carl may I ask you something?"

"Of course Markus."

"Why does she do it?"

"What do you mean?" The old man asked curiously.

"Why does she always write like we need to be defended?"

"That's not an easy question and it doesn't have a simple answer."

Amanda sighed and stepped into the room, she walked up to Markus and faced him.
"There is a simple answer." She smiled "I see the person inside the machine."He raised an eyebrow and peered thoughtful at her. "And since your a person you need to be treated with respect."

"But we never asked for it."

She put a hand on his cheek "because this life you have now is all that you know, that doesn't mean it can't get better."

"So you're saying I don't have a good life here with you?"

She smiled and shook her head "No Markus, I believe your life here is much more privileged then most humans or androids." She lowered her hand, moving it from his cheek to rest it on his chest, just above his heart. And his eyes looked intensely into hers as he tried to comprehend what she was trying to explain to him. But Amanda's texts and words where always full of emotion and empathy. They always made his program conflict inside him, and these rare glints of frustration would puzzle him.

"You see, if a human did the same labour that you do every day for us, they would get payed."

"Yes"

"And for that money they could buy things they want and enjoy."

He nodded "I know this."

"But you do it for free." She tilted her head and gave him a little smile "all I say is that you deserve a little gratitude."

A deep wrinkle emerged between his eyebrows "You didn't answer my question though, why do you do this?"

She sighed and shrugged "because I'm crazy and I have this urge to fight for those who needs a voice to speak for them." She gave him a light kiss on his cheek before she walked off to the kitchen to make some coffee.

"There's no use in trying to understand it all Markus." Carl smirked "she's a complicated person."

"Yes, you told me before." He said with a slight hint of frustration in his voice.

"Now, if you could help me upstairs please."
Markus nodded and lead the old man towards the staircase and the built in elevator.

In the meantime Amanda stood in the kitchen and studied them. Her hands holding the cup of coffee in her between her hands letting the warmth spread through her fingers.

Why didn't he understand that all of this was because of him. She did it for him.

She wasn't sure if she should to cry or not, her feelings was a complete mess, but most of all she wanted to press all the emotions away.
She took a big sip from the cup and let the warm beverage sooth her.
She'd known for a while now, but she still didn't know how to handle it.

Sometimes she actually felt like she was crazy fighting a battle she couldn't win. And for what reason? The androids didn't seem to want the change, but they didn't know better, right?
She sighed to herself. Why bother?

Her eyes swiped the back of the man who was cleaning the dinner table. The tight fabric showed his muscles move underneath as he reached for the dirty plates and silverware.
Artificial, she told herself, but couldn't take her eyes off him. "Amanda" she sighed to herself "what are you doing to yourself."