Chapter 12: Norman Bates

(A/N): A bit of an abrupt ending, but I wanted to get a chapter out today so I'll start next chapter exactly where this one ended. Enjoy :)

You were almost relieved when you woke inside a boiler room, the whole place lit by a flickering red-orange as if it was engulfed in flames. The heat was intense, almost unbearable, but at least this wasn't a nightmare about Danny or anything of the sort. You glanced around and took everything in, the criss-crossing mass of pipes, the darkness above and below the silver-mesh path, the shadows here and there that seemed to shift and sway like wild beasts. They should scare you, but they don't; anything here will be much easier to deal with than anything anywhere else. You set off at a slow pace, glad that this time the metal underfoot wasn't burning you, not necessarily knowing what to do with your time in this dream state. The quiet whirr of machinery and pump of pistons was all that you heard other than the obvious tink tink tink of your footsteps on the metal pathway, generally soothing your frayed nerves. You weren't sure how much time had passed, how long you'd been walking down the straight, seemingly infinite pathway before you realized it wouldn't end.

For a minute that realization was sort of unsettling; why? But then you realized... that was okay. You were alright with being alone with your thoughts. The metal underfoot was pleasantly warm like a heated bathroom floor, and the machinery around you went on quietly, a soothing buzz like the boiler rooms heartbeat. Another few minutes passed of you walking silently, gaze set straight ahead, thinking of nothing in particular as you enjoyed not having to worry about the problems of the real world. You jump at the sudden scraping of metal, bad memories flooding back then being shut away as you spin on your heel to see Freddy.

"You're one of the only people I've ever seen that didn't panic at the 'endless hallway' trick. They always get scared, but they also don't have a truce." Freddy's voice took on that demonic tone. You didn't like it as much as his normal voice. He smiles, and speaks again, this time normally as if he read your mind, "I'll talk normally, just for you." you smile, how sweet of him. "I am sweet, thank you." you smile morphs into a face of confusion, then realization. It's his dream world, he can hear your thoughts. That makes sense. "Smart girl, piecing that one together so easily." He lifted his bladed hand from the metal railings as he took the last few steps towards you, stopping that horrible scraping.

"Thanks for bringing me here, Freddy. I wouldn't be able to deal with... normal dreams." your smile returns as the screeching stops, and Freddy lifts his bladed hand to examine the knives.

"You didn't have the best day today, I see. What exactly happened?" Freddy crosses his arms, tilting his head as he asks. His eyes seem more or less concerned, but you can see a hint of amusement in them as well. You let out a sigh and cross your arms as well.

"Danny just... freaked out. Went absolutely batshit and I don't really understand why," you begin, staring around at the boiler room to hide the tears in the corners of your eyes. "This... this guy came and attacked us, saying he recognized Danny as Jed and that Jed killed his son. We tried to ignore him but he pulled a knife and hit me. Danny flipped." The tears finally spill over and you frantically wipe them away. "He killed him, which doesn't surprise me, but the... ferocity? When he finished with that guy and turned to me with those... crazed eyes? I thought he was going to kill me too." your voice quivered at the end of your sentence but you managed to hold in a sob, instead letting it out in a long, shaky breath. A quick gaze at Freddy showed the sympathy in his eyes once more, stronger than before.

"Sorry you had to see that Sweet- uh... Kitten." you smile weakly at his avoidance of Danny's lead nickname for you, letting out a small chuckle. "He's... not like the rest of the killers you got around here. I'm sure he had plenty of pent up bloodlust from his bad leg, too, so the sight of it sent him spiralling worse than ever." Freddy seemed hesitant, but he opened his arms in a hug, and you gratefully took it. You felt the knives on his glove brushing gently against your hair.