THIRTY

"No—I said move it to the right," Biana directed Tam that morning while they were putting the finishing touches on Wylie's surprise party. "No, my right! Are you thick in the head Song? Just do what I say!"

Sophie laughed at the two of them as she placed the food on the table. So far, everything had gone as planned. All they had to do was finish up in the foyer, get dressed, wait for people to arrive, and then bring Wylie over.

Sophie looked around the room until she saw Dex walking by with some balloons in his hands.

"Hey Dex," She said, making him stop where he was. "Do you know where Keefe went? He was supposed to have brought the cake out here by now,"

But Dex shrugged his shoulders. "I haven't seen him since he got here,"

Sophie let out a breath. She was not going to let Keefe ruin the perfection they had going for them right now. So Sophie made her way to the kitchen to find Keefe taking golden-brown cupcakes out of the oven.

"I thought you said you couldn't cook," Sophie said, sniffing the air and letting out a satisfied breath.

Keefe smirked. "Did I also add that I can cook nothing but cupcakes?"

Sophie smiled, shaking her head as she made her way over to the cupcakes. "No, you didn't,"

She looked to the right and realized that there were already frosted cupcakes—and the frosting detail was beautiful.

"How do you do that?" She asked, pointing to the pre-iced cupcakes.

Keefe smiled. "It's not as hard as it looks," He told her, taking a piping tool and putting pretty swirls all around the non-iced cupcake.

"Woah," Sophie said, genuinely finding it cool.

"Do you want to try?" Keefe asked, handing her the piping tool.

Sophie sucked in a breath before doing her best to pipe the cupcake, but in the end it looked like a big mess.

"Here," Keefe said, stepping behind her and placing his hands over hers. "Let me help you,"

Keefe guided her hands as she iced the cupcakes, but Sophie wasn't concentrating on the icing details—she was too focused on the quick beating of her heart and the fluttery feeling she felt in her stomach.

They only had two cupcakes left when a voice shook Sophie out of her daze: "Hey—they're done decorating so we can..."

Sophie's head shot up to see Fitz standing there.

Sophie's face heated up as she said, "Keefe was teaching me how to decorate cupcakes," She tried to defend herself—even though she had no idea why. She hadn't done anything wrong.

"Alright..." Fitz said, but he didn't look so sure—which was a little worrying. "Well, we can get dressed now, then Linh's going to pick Wylie up."

Sophie gave Fitz a thumbs up right before he left. "Thanks for the lesson Keefe," She said, not having enough guts to look him in the eyes. "See you later,"

Sophie bolted out of the kitchen and up to Biana's room—where she'd left her dress she'd brought from home.

They'd all decided that their friend group should match, so they all dressed in warm colors. Sophie wore a faded red, lantern-sleeved dress. Biana chose to wear a coral, sleeveless dress. Linh said she was wearing a peach, turtle-neck dress. Then Marella wore an orange spaghetti-strapped dress.