𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Phoenix's eye shot open at the sound of Katniss screaming in pure agony

     Phoenix's eye shot open at the sound of Katniss screaming in pure agony. " Run! Run! The fog is poison! " She screams, holding onto her now throbbing hand. Without question, the group shoots to their feet, before running away from the fog.

Finnick ran to Mags without a second wasted, bending down in order for the woman to get onto his back. Katniss, Peeta, and Phoenix run past the two, all desperately trying to escape the fog that was coming at them from all ends. Phoenix looks back, wanting to make sure Finnick and Mags were close behind.

The alliance ran as fast as they could through the jungle, dodging the thick vine, and trees they came in contact with. The fog began closing in on them from every angle, causing Finnick, Mags, and Phoenix to stray a different direction from Katniss and Peeta. 

Now behind Finnick and Mags, a pit grows in Phoenix's stomach as she realizes she has no way of protecting the two. Phoenix tries to catch a glimpse of Katniss and Peeta, wanting to make sure the two were alright. Extending her neck to look for them, Phoenix fails to notice the large rock that was just below her feet. Falling to the ground Phoenix feels the fog make contact with her body.

Phoenix's screams mirrored Katniss's as the two girls cried out in pure agony. Phoenix felt the horrible burning sensation and let out another scream as she crawled back to her feet. " Please Phoenix! " Finnick cried as he stopped running to help her back to her feet. 

With Mags still on Finnick's back, he holds onto Phoenix's hand tightly as she limps her way down the hill. Every step Phoenix took felt more excruciating than the last, causing tears to slip out of her eyes. 

Phoenix feels Finnick's hand slip out of her grip, with his scream following close after. That's when the burning sensation took over Phoenix's body again. Desperately tries to ignore the pain as Phoenix helps Mags back onto Finnick's back. " Go! " Phoenix screams before grabbing a hold of Finnick's arm.

From a distance Phoenix sees Peeta fall over onto the ground, taking Katniss with him. " Come on! " Phoenix exclaimed while limping to where Katniss and Peeta lie. Phoenix looks down at Peeta, seeing the welts that have taken over his face. Her stomach drops as she knows her and Katniss wouldn't be able to take him very far. 

Katniss notices the way Phoenix is leaning onto Finnick and turns her head towards the man from District 4. " We can't carry him. " Katniss explains, Finnick immediately knowing she meant her and Phoenix. 

Kneeling next to Peeta, Phoenix, Finnick, and Katniss began begging him to get up. Suddenly a hand was placed on Finnick's shoulder. " Mags? " Finnick questioned, causing Katniss and Phoenix's heads to snap towards Finnick and Mags. 

A shaky breath falls past Phoenix's lips while watching Mags send her one final smile before walking straight into the fog. 

Phoenix flinches as the cannon sounds over Finnick's screams. He looks at the fog, feeling helpless as he had just watched someone who meant so much to him die before his eyes. The fog begins closing in and Phoenix places her hand on Finnick's face, making the crying man look at her. " You can't let her die for nothing! We have to go! " Now holding both sides of his face, Finnick nods slowly, still processing what had happened only moments ago.

With Peeta in between Finnick and Katniss, Phoenix holds onto Finnick tightly. The alliance of 4 make their way through the jungle, trying their best to stay out of the way of the poisonous fog. The excruciating pain runs through them for a final time as the fog makes its way through their bodies. Screams of pain ring out as each of their knees go weak from the pain.  

They all fall to the ground before rolling down the remainder of the hill in different directions. Phoenix let out a loud groan as the tumbling came to a stop. Not being able to stop the twitching that began taking over her body, Phoenix looks up at the fog helplessly, believing this was the end. 

As the fog inches closer to the alliance, Phoenix closes her eyes, anticipating the painful death she is about to receive. Moments pass and she felt nothing, opening up her eyes she noticed the fog had begun making its way up a forcefield before disappearing altogether. 

Another scream belonging to Katniss rang out, cauing Phoenix to turn her head towards the yelling, hoping the girl wasn't in any grave danger. " The water! The water helps! " Katniss reveals, her voice lingering with exhaustion. Phoenix looks at the body of water next to her before crawling in. 

The feeling of the water on her wounds felt as if she poured lemon juice on a cut. Letting out a soft cry, Phoenix braces herself before submerging completely under the water. The water muffles her screams as she feels the welts on her body simply disappear. Emerging from under the water, Phoenix catches her breath, somehow already feeling the pain decrease.

Phoenix looks over to Katniss and Peeta as they help a screaming Finnick into the water. Without a moment wasted, Phoenix is by their sides to help. Watching Finnick scream and twitch below her makes Phoenix feel almost sick. Rubbing the water onto his face, Finnick reaches up, gripping onto Phoenix's forearm for any type of relief for the agony he is in. " I know, I know. " She mumbles, trying to soothe him. 

The pain begins leaving Finnick as he continues to clutch onto Phoenix. " You guys can go get the weapons, I got him. " She reassures, before running her wet hands through Finnick's hair. Watching the two leave the pond Phoenix looks down at Finnick before placing a soft kiss onto his lips. He kisses back, feeling the remainder of his pain disappear into the kiss.  

" Can you sit up? " Phoenix asked after ending the kiss. Only getting a nod in return, before helping him sit up in the water. She watches his gaze stay at the ground, knowing he is still grieving for Mags. " We have to finish this, for her. We can't let her death be a waste, she sacrificed her self for this. I'm so sorry. " Phoenix reassures, watching the words process inside Finnick's mind. " I know. " He mutters, exhaustion, and sadness lingering in his voice.

Before the two could say anything else they were met with Katniss and Peeta. With Finnick's back turned, Phoenix looks at Katniss and Peeta. " Is he okay? " Katniss mouths, not wanting Finnick to hear her. Phoenix only shrugs her shoulders, not having a real answer to give Katniss. 

We're any of them okay? 

Katniss hands Finnick his triton before sitting next to them in the water. " I'm gonna get some fresh water. " Peeta said before grabbing the spile. Phoenix got up from the water, believing Finnick might want to talk to someone other than her about what had happened. " I'll come with you Peeta. " Getting up from the water Phoenix and Peeta walk towards a tree before digging the spile inside of it. 

There was comfortable silence as the two drank and collected the water. " I'm sorry about Mags. " Peeta consoled, knowing that if Phoenix was close to Finnick, she was close to Mags. " It's okay, I know its gonna tear him apart, but its what we signed up for. " Phoenix looked down at the spile imminently, her body tensing slightly at what she had just said.

" What we signed up for. " Phoenix thought, hoping Peeta wouldn't question what she had said. But before Peeta could even process or question what she said, Katniss calls both of their names, with worry lingering in her tone.