𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Phoenix felt the sand under her feet and sighs before sitting down next to Katniss

     Phoenix felt the sand under her feet and sighs before sitting down next to Katniss. " So besides Cassian, Brutus, and Enobaria, who's left? " Katniss asks, beginning to lose track of who was still alive in the arena. " Maybe Chaff. Just those 4. " Peeta informs, with him still not being able to forget the face of the man who kissed Katniss in front of him after the tribute parade. 

" They know they're outnumbered, I doubt they'll attack again. " Finnick reminds, knowing the Careers knew better than to attack them, especially after what had happened at the Cornucopia. " That means we're safe on the beach. " Phoenix sighs, hoping that the alliance could catch their breath on the beach for a moment. 

Johanna sat deeper into her hip, as she began weighing the different options in her head. " So what do we do? Hunt them down? " She asked, wanting nothing more for these games to be over as quickly as possible. But before anyone could answer Johanna's question a high pitched scream wailed from inside of the jungle. 

The heads of the 6 tributes all snapped towards the scream that was coming from deep in the jungle. With the scream being foreign to Phoenix and too high pitched to belong to Enobaria, she was left confused about who the scream actually belonged too. But the way the 5 other heads noticed the voice, Phoenix knew this couldn't have been in her head.

" Katniss help me! " The voice screamed out, this time much louder than before. Phoenix then realized who the voice belonged too, having immediately recognized the high pitch cries from the reaping of the 74th Hunger Games. The voice belonged to Primrose Everdeen, Katniss's own younger sister. Phoenix's head quickly snapped towards Katniss, watching as the realization set on her face. This is when it clicked to Phoenix what was happening.

The GameMakers had sent jabberjays out into the arena.

Phoenix watched Katniss spring to her feet before running into the jungle in search of where Prim's cries were coming from. Without a second wasted, Phoenix began chasing right after Katniss. Neither girls caring that they had left their alliance, especially Peeta and Finnick,  confused, worried, and a good distance away from them. 

The girl from District 5 screamed out for Katniss over and over again. Katniss seemed to be getting more manic by the second, still ignoring Phoenix's calls as she began shooting arrows into the air at the mutts. Phoenix was desperately trying to get the attention of Katniss while repressing her memories of her own traumatic experience with jabberjays. 

The memories of her own games flood back to her while running behind Katniss. Thinking back to the pitch-black arena and the wails and cries of the dead tributes during their last moments. Phoenix remembered the blood that stained her ears as she was forced to listen to the fallen tribute's last moments over and over again during the dead of night. Remembering how this drove some of the remaining tributes to pure insanity. Yet, this, the young Primrose Everdeen screams and calls for Katniss, was so much more personal.