Chapter 46

Emma's POV

The next day started out as normal as possible. Breakfast in our suite as we all got ready to go back to the beaches for day two of our volunteer work.

The one thing that was not the normal that I had become used to was the lack of a talkative and suggestive Landon. He had been glued to his phone, furiously scrolling or texting or answering phone calls giving only one word responses and hanging up more ticked off than before.

It wasn't until the lunch break the he finally acknowledged Harper or me. Both of us had decided to not say anything about his mood. Harper suggested that we give him some chocolate he had stashed in the hotel room, but I pointed out that we weren't close enough to make use of that asset.

Instead of mentioning his strange actions we talked about how we were going to spend the next day in Spain. Because we were going to finish up our community service project at the beaches today we were all able to do whatever we wanted tomorrow.

"I saw a few shops that I want to try," Harper said excitedly.

"I'm assuming chocolate stores?" I asked and Harper and I laughed. Landon gave a slight smile that bordered on a grimace, then his phone rang and he lept up and answered it.

"They are," Harper said, turning his attention from Landon like he hadn't been in the conversation before.

"I would expect nothing less," I said distractedly. Landon was turning in a slow circle in the sand, he seemed to be looking for something. "What do you think he's all worked up about?" I asked.

Harper shrugged, "both him and Forest were off this morning, it was like something last night really rubbed them the wrong way."

What could have bothered them that much? I wondered. Even though I had only really known the two of them for a few days it did not seem like they were easily ruffled people.

Whatever was happening had to be big.

-

Forest's POV

Of all days we had to learn that she was here today.

Now I had to balance getting to know everyone and constantly watching out for the pesky reporter. It was exhausting.

Alison and Gerald has noticed something was off when I answered a call when the three of us were talking. It had been on of the security detail giving me an update on the intel they had gathered so far. The two friends had both frowned and questioned me when I hung up, and I had tried to dodge their questions as well as I could. I had a lot of experience with answering questions with open ended answers that could satisfy if not curb curious minds.

Landon was another issue.

He had been more bothered by the news we had received last night— it made sense. She had done a number on him. It made me cringe just thinking about it. And that incident had been almost five years ago! To think what she could be capable of now was terrifying.

By the time we were packing up and saying goodbye to the activist team we were working with I was ready to punch something. I needed a distraction—and fast.

-

Emma's POV

This time everyone arrived in the hotel suite around the same time, so instead of trying to fight Cora for a spot in line for the shower Alison and I went downstairs to get some snacks from the light buffet that was in the ballroom.

There weren't very many people in the room, just some older couples chatting at some of the tables and a few waitstaff walking around making sure everything looked immaculate. Alison and I zeroed in on the chocolate fountain that was bubbling on one side of the buffet and loaded up on strawberries, graham crackers and marshmallows laden with the liquid chocolate.

We found an empty table and plopped down, digging in.

That was when it happened.
The scream.
The crash.
The first think I saw was a sight I thought I would never see after those two events.
Landon.
On the ground.
Security guards gripping his arms against his back.

A/N

Hey friends! Sorry this is v late, I just got a job and it had been making me really tired when I get home. This is a good thing because I need sleep desperately, but it's unfortunate for my Wattpad account because I don't have as much time to write.

What do you think is happening with Landon and Forest??

Don't forget to comment and vote and check out my new story Falling!

Love yooooou
em