05 | dead poets cult

NEIL WAS AN ANXIOUS mess inside, forcing himself to maintain his calm demeanor as he approaches Todd who had been quiet about the whole topic. They had been discussing about where the cave was with a map laid in front of them when the others were still doubtful.

     Sliding on the chair beside Todd, who looked at him with a curious expression. Although the timid lad seemed to have a hint on what Neil wants to say, or rather, ask. "Todd, are you coming tonight?" Neil asks in a low whisper, looking at Todd expectantly.

     "No." Was all Todd could reply.

     "Why not? God, you were there. You heard Keating. Don't you wanna do something about that?" Neil whispers angrily, his eyebrows knit in disbelief.

     Why did you ask if you're gonna force me to go either way? Todd had wanted to say, but instead, he said, "Yes — but I —"

     "But?" Upon realizing the volume of his voice, Neil sighs and lowers his voice into a whisper once again. "But what?"

     Todd sighs in frustration, no matter how much he wanted to join, his shyness and introverted ways just won't let him. "Keating said that everybody took turns reading," Todd pauses, "And I don't wanna do that."

     Neil stares at him blankly, he never thought that was Todd's only reason, and thought it was a small nuisance. "Gosh, you really have a problem with that, don't you?" He asks out of utter disbelief.

     Todd turns to look at him, it wasn't his fault people scare him anyway. "N-No, I don't have a problem." He sighs. "Neil, I just — I don't wanna do it okay?"

     "Alright." Neil says, finally giving up, though that's what Todd thought. "What if you didn't have to read? What if you just came and listened?" Todd resisted the urge to groan out of annoyance due to the persistence of Neil, he really won't give up without a fight, huh?

     "That's not how it works." Todd stutters out, shaking his head in the process.

     "Well forget how it works." Neil exclaims, a smile appearing on his face. "What if — what if they said it was okay?" Neil wonders out loud.

     Todd, slightly tired, wishes Neil would just let it be, but he also somehow liked the idea of someone wanting him to be a part of their group. "What — what are you gonna go up and ask them?" He asks, to which Neil responds with a simple shrug. "No. No —"

     "I'll be right back." Neil quickly whispers as he rushed back to the others. The boy is no doubt excited about this Dead Poets Society thing, and it had been so long since he felt this excited about something.

     "Neil," Todd knew it was no use stopping the exhilarated boy who was too giddy for his own good as he watched Neil talk to the others about it.

     Mr. McAllister, who was getting irritated at the hushed voices, snapped. "Oh, shut up will you?"

 "Oh, shut up will you?"