17 | light years away

IT WAS STUPID of Todd to even think that Presley cared about his problems. He only just started to talk to her and already dumped his burdens onto her. So as a result, Todd was distant once again.

     It wasn't that Presley didn't care, it was an argument she blurted out without thinking first because of so much thoughts that started to cloud her brain. About Charlie, about everyone else, and about herself.

     Presley had reconciled with Charlie and both were back to their normalcy of getting on each other's nerves. These past few weeks had been absolutely surreal for the girl.

     Todd hadn't gathered up the courage to confront Presley about it, leaving the girl to be consumed with guilt whenever they were in the same room. Honestly, Todd didn't want to mind about it at all, but he just can't seem to get it out of his head.

     Meanwhile, Neil was hanging out with Presley as usual. The two have been spending so much time together to the point where the others began to assume they were twins, or worse, a couple. Which the pair had denied vigorously upon confrontation by Charlie.

     It was a Sunday, and around 5:30 in the morning when Presley had the incredible urge to take Neil outside for some kind of morning stroll, which she eventually did earning a string of protests from the boy.

     As usual, they were by the tree where they spend most of their free time, if Neil wasn't out practicing for the play, and if Presley was in a good mood — which she seemed to be in a lot recently.

     Presley looks over to Neil who was leaning against the tree with his eyes half-closed as he stared ahead at the scenery before him. He doesn't look at her until she reaches out to put her hand on his arm and nudge him awake. "Neil," She whispers ever so softly. "Thank you for going out of your way to wake up early."

     "You dragged me out of my room, what choice do I have?" He mumbles, still evidently half asleep. This comment elicits a soft giggle from Presley, rolling her eyes in the process. "Why'd you drag me out anyway? And in this ungodly hour?"

     Neil's voice was still raspy due to sleep, which Presley found herself wanting to listen to it more. "As if you don't drag me out my room to join your religious meetings." She jokes, "Why couldn't I do the same to you?"

     "Yeah but not when I'm sleeping." Neil whines, sounding like a child whose candy was unjustly stolen away from him. "I love sleep more than anything else in the world." It was a lie, and Neil was aware of that whilst the words flowed out of his mouth.

     "Then go and marry sleep, I couldn't care less." Presley jokes, an amused smile on her face. Neil rolls his eyes at this, turning to look at the girl with his eyes still half closed.

     "Uhuh, sure. You can marry your books then." Neil knew Presley loves to read books more than anything, that it was her own personal escape from this heart wrenching reality she lived in. Although he still had no clue as to what her reality was.

     "Or you can marry me."

     "Or I can marry you — wait, what?" Neil whips his head to Presley's direction who had been stifling her laughter but failing miserably.

     "Don't let that get to your head." She says in between laughs. Neil had to admit, he was a little hurt upon her joke. And now, he was completely awake and alert of his surroundings.

     "You don't joke about that at 5:30 in the morning, Pres." Neil says jokingly, an amused smile on his face. He tries to avoid the thought of marrying Presley as he shakes his head, rolling his eyes in the process.