6 | the bends

SEASON ONE,
CHAPTER 6:

THE BENDS

"Bends like

"Bends like... bend over?"

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

THE NEXT MORNING, Delilah and her friends decided that it would be a good idea to go visit John B at his house in order to check up on him. They arrived to find the boy pacing back and forth on the porch with something clearly on his mind. A blue and purple bruise also rests beneath his eye from the fight last night, though Kie's attempts to reduce the swelling did work so it doesn't look puffy. However, Delilah does have a similar bruise to John B, only smaller and sits directly on her cheekbone instead.

"What's wrong?" Delilah asks.

"I'm calling it off." John B blurts out, receiving looks of confusion. "Look, Peterkin said that if I stay out of the marsh then she'll help me with DCS."

"And you believed her?" JJ questions.

"Yes, I believed her, JJ." John B replies.

"An actual cop, John B? You believed a cop." JJ repeats in disbelief of his friend.

"Peterkin's lying." Delilah argues. "She won't help you with DCS."

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days and she'll help me out. It doesn't help that your ass, JJ, was the one that was shooting a gun, and you, Delilah, picked a fight with Sarah and her boyfriend." John B snaps.

"You know what I should have done, man?" JJ rhetorically asks. "I should've just left Topper drown your ass and stopped Ly from sticking up for us."

John B scoffs. "Topper was gonna drown me?"

"Sure looked like it." JJ fires back.

"This is unfair." Delilah begins. "You're the one who ran out in front of me to stop Topper. You're the one who continued the fight. Yet you're blaming JJ and I for just being good friends and sticking up for you?"

"Yeah, it's quite known with Del and JJ that if you pick a fight with their friends then you pick a fight with them." Pope states.

"Look, there has to be something valuable in the marsh if they don't want us down there. You know it, man. I know you do." JJ tells him.

John B doesn't bother replying to the frustrated boy, knowing that it's no use trying to argue his way out of this one. Instead, he pulls his gaze elsewhere as a way to distract himself from the situation and think about this more thoroughly.