Chapter 16

I returned to my seat and stayed here through our first fifteen-minute break. The boys got lunch and brought me back some cafeteria sandwiches, but I particularly wasn't hungry. I vaguely thanked them before the bell rang for everybody to return to our seats. I rested my cheek on my balled fist, too caught up in thought to pay Mr. Sex-God Hardy too much attention. That was until he cleared his throat and stood in front of me.

Looking up at eye level, I was met with his jean crotch stationed not too far across from me. I let my gaze roam upwards, resisting the urge to sigh. That feeling went away quickly when I saw his arms folded, looking down at me expectantly. Oops.

Once he knew he had my attention, he cleared his throat and returned to the front.

"Alright, now that eyes are all on me," he said, looking directly at me, "Let me continue this announcement by casting a vote to have our Aquarium trip pushed forward to this Thursday."

Everybody broke out in whispers. Ben and I faced each other, shrugging, and I looked back to see Goose do the same. We'd all signed and paid for this trip months ago, and I think most of us forgot about it.

"There's talk of it being shut early for maintenance. If it happens, then it's due to happen around our planned date three weeks from now. So, we can either risk cancellation and go ahead as scheduled, or we can take a day off and go this Thursday. I'll give you a few minutes to discuss it amongst yourselves."

As Mr. Hardy returned to his teachers' desk, everybody chirped with excitement. Jude turned straight to Liam, clutching his arm with both hands as he chatted animatedly. Liam looked like he was in heaven, smiling, laughing, and nodding along. They had such innocent but profound chemistry that I could no longer question it.

I turned back to look at Aubrey who sat with his chin resting in hand, staring out the window. The sun shone on him, lighting his eyes to a luminescent grey. I'd never seen anything so beautiful, making me go weak. Maybe I just misunderstood something, and he'd talk to me soon. He did promise to teach me how to sign, after all. Not only that, but I still had a goal of getting him through the final term of English with a passing grade. That meant that I could push for these poetry dates to continue.

With that idea in mind, I felt a little better.

Ben was leaning back in his chair, chatting with Goose behind me. I barely registered their conversation before noticing Mr. Hardy return to the front.

"Alright, alright. Quiet now, I've given you long enough," he said, eyes skimming across the class. Even just that mundane gesture was unbelievably sexy. "A show of hands for pushing forward to this Thursday."

I looked back at just about every person's hand in the air, throwing mine up as well. I wasn't particularly bothered so I just voted with the rest of the majority. Aubrey's hand stayed down though, so I quickly lowered mine.

Mr. Hardy nodded as he counted, registering the number of hands.

"Alright," he continued, "And those for risking scheduled date?"

Glancing back, only about three hands shot up. None of them were Aubrey's. He continued staring out the window, not in the least bit interested in this discussion. What could be going through his beautiful mind right now?

"Alright, Thursday it is," Mr. Hardy said, bringing my attention back to the front.

We finished biology class and were onto English. As expected, the mere mention of the word poetry resulted in a loud scooching of a chair sliding on the floor. We all turned back to find Aubrey standing up, slinging his bag over his shoulder, and making for the door. With he stared at the ground, his hair fell over his face, making it hard for me to see his expression. My hunch told me it was on purpose which didn't sit well with me.