Chapter 30

A/N: Thanks for enduring another unedited chapter. We're heading near the end now woo. Um, I'ma go back and edit last few chapters. Jesse's gonna not have shoved the hearing aid down his pants, and instead, Aubrey's refusal to wear his hearing aid will be purely emotion/trauma based. Just a heads up. 

Ty love you and please vote! 

*

After collecting my hearing aid from the office, I returned to the teacher's room. They were all exiting the room when I came across them, with Charlie stopping in his tracks the moment he noticed me. He smiled widely and signed his greeting. I signed back with a smile. Donny was looking at me, but averted his gaze when I met his eyes.

They didn't know my aid was back in my ear. "What are you doing?" I signed, gesturing to them collectively.

"I don't know how to explain in sign," Charlie said to Tom. "Can you answer him? It'll be good if he comes along."

"He should be in class," Tom said. "It's no good him getting in trouble, too."

Oops, it was a little late for that. Charlie gave him a stubborn pout, to which Tom reluctantly responded with a sigh. My uncle was pretty on point with his teacher authority role, but he seemed to give me and my friends a little bit of leeway. The kind that other students wouldn't get. He'd definitely include me in whatever was going on.

"Donny says there are hidden cameras in bathroom. We are going to check."

Hidden... cameras? Who'd dare?

"Principal's son," he signed, as if he could read my mind. Of course he'd dare. He'd be the only type to dare. What a creep.

"I'm coming," I said.

What I didn't understand was why Donny was going along as well. They must've reconciled, or maybe it was him who gave the information away. There must be something in it for him. But what? They were on their way to being expelled once investigations were finalized. I just wished they'd hurry up.

Being around Donny wasn't nearly as bad as Jesse, but it still made me nervous. I especially didn't like him being around Charlie. That was my biggest peeve right now. But we walked to the C-block bathroom and I listened to them talking. They didn't know I was listening, of course.

"It's not like I helped him or anything," Donny said, smacking his gob left and center. "He told me about it 'cause he thought I'd find it funny. I laughed 'cause he was helping me not to get kicked out. That's it."

"You gotta uphold your promise though. Getting him kicked out isn't enough to make me take your side," Charlie said, leading us along the halls.

"I know," Donny said, though he sounded anxious and reluctant. "Not like it's gonna do much or anything."

"It's in your best interest to make sure it does," Charlie said stubbornly. "Anyway, I hate talking about Aubrey when he can't hear so let's stop."

My breath caught in my throat. They were talking about me. What promise did they make that'd involve me? At least I knew that Charlie was being consistently protective of me, even when I wasn't able to hear. It reaffirmed those feelings of safety I've felt around him since the beginning.

Whatever this was, I could trust Charlie Rascal.

We arrived at the C-block boy's bathroom, where Tom entered ahead of us first. "Where'd you say it was?" he asked, glancing back at Donny.